After 3 Asus laptops, I am never buying another one

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Rookie84, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Honestly, the Razer is not worth the price.
    I got my Helios 500 With Ryzen 2700 and Vega56 for £1500 (was supposed to be £1700, but I got it on a discount).
    And this thing is a BEAST.
    I can seriously overclock this thing without the temperatures going up by any significant margin (that's how good the cooling is... I dare say it Acer did this thing great... the thermal headroom is enormous... you'd sooner hit the chip and power brick limit than you would hit the thermal limit, and its QUIET).

Seriously, for that kind of money Razer doesn't come close... and the closest they offer for a £100 lower price (£1600 in total - which is still £100 more than what I paid for Helios 500) is a 4c Intel CPU with 1060.

No thanks... unless these 'brands' get their act together and create a viable (properly specced) gaming laptop with good/reliable cooling for a low price, I'm going to go with affordable and quality build (Acer to the rescue - funnily enough, people used to make fun of Acer for it being a 'cheap brand' with 'bad hardware and all kinds of problems' - but my experience with Acer 5930G (from late 2008) which is still running strong as my nephews main laptop after 10 years has been pretty reliable/great - and now Helios 500).

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'd take my Helios 500 with me to work and I wouldn't really care what others think nor say a word... unless someone tried to make it out to look 'ugly', at which point I would 'kindly' point out just what it can do in relation to what their 'thin and light' can do.

But far from it, most people who saw my Helios 500 say it looks really good (from an aesthetic point of view). Sure its bulky (thick), but I don't mind considering how quiet it is when I put it through 3d Studio Max or intense gaming and how low temps are.

I call it 'the monster'... my flatmate actually pointed out how thick it is the first time, and when you add the power brick to it all... heh, lets just say 'the monster' was a suitable nickname (but in a good way).

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  3. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I mean, that's fine. But I can't bring something with "Predator" written on it to a presentation :)
    But honestly, even with a dbrand skin, the green USB's on a RB15 aren't ideal. I'll likely end up using a Matebook or Surface for work.

I currently use a GT62VR 6RE... pretty similar to your Helios. Still really powerful and extremely quiet. Chunky, but I prefer that over thin and hot/loud. I'd be very happy to replace it with a new fat beast... problem is all the RTX gen machines seem to be jet engines.

4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't think anyone would care too much if your laptop says 'Predator' during a presentation, since the laptop is not the focus (but rather, the presentation is).
    I certainly wouldn't... and even if it came up, people would likely make a few jokes, I'd then politely humiliate them with the specs and cooling capabilities, at which point we'd move onto the presentation. :D
    It would certain 'break the ice' in the room if anything else.

As for getting a machine with RTX... simple solution: Don't.
    Get an all AMD laptop instead. I think that upcoming Zen 2 machines with Navi will be really great (and possibly more affordable than Intel/NV counterparts).
    :D

To be honest, you don't need RTX, and AMD can do both DLSS and RT via compute easily enough through open source. AMD actually submitted a proposal for hybrid RT which doesn't use proprietary hw, but rather focuses on existing software and hw optimizations to enable Real time Raytracing without performance losses. And in regards to DLSS, they can do it via MS api apparently without quality losses.
    And even in the case of RT, you won't notice virtually any difference in modern games... you'd need to be perfectly still mostly to notice it for the most part and even then you're usually incurring large performance losses (similar to going from 'High' to 'Ultra' preset in games - usually not worth it because the visual changes are minimal which you won't even notice for a large performance impact).

As for your GT62VR 6RE... its a good machine... and to be honest, depending on how old it is, even I wouldn't have a need to trade it for a new one anytime soon (unless the Intel security patches wreck the CPU performance - which they have).
    MSI has some good ones on their hands, but they soiled their image by specifically saying they will AVOID Zen 2 and AMD hw in general because it could damage their relationship with Intel.

On one hand I appreciate their honesty (for a change), but on the other (and unless they change their stance on using AMD), I personally couldn't really support them by getting their products (unless I didn't have any other option).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  5. sush33king

sush33king Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Get a MSI, GE75...:) Best advice is, always buy a system from a retail outlet and test it before accepting it... it is possible for me here in malaysia and am having my 2d MSI laptop and couldnt be more happy

hmscott likes this.