After 3 Asus laptops, I am never buying another one

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Rookie84, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No offense, but the argument of 'vote with your walled' doesn't actually work... at least, not in the case of large companies like Asus.
    If it was a small business where profits would take a noticeable nose-dive, then possibly, but otherwise, big companies like Asus can shrug that off as they have more than enough profits from their other products where more than enough people are seemingly satisfied with them (even if the quality is questionable at best). Plus, some people just shrug problems off and will either buy a new laptop/computer or just RMA the existing one if its under warranty rather than go through lengthy procedures that would force the OEM to give you a refund or a replacement.

Often times, people end up tied to Asus products after purchasing them because they have a hard time getting a full refund (most often, Asus might offer a replacement if it comes down to it - I was fortunate as I am in UK and am protected by consumer rights act of 2015, so I took it up with the retailer because it was ultimately their responsibility because they sold me a product not fit for purpose - and I had to threaten them with court to get a full refund - that was basically just over a year of owning the GL702ZC - but I also made sure to give the retailer all the facts about the laptop, copies of RMA emails, and pains that I went through with that unfortunate unit - and even then, I told them its possible that Asus might have messed up on the first batch, but a replacement was not viable it appears).

Companies like Asus may be more likely to take notice and act if we take them to court, or report them to various watchdogs - because that way, you are more likely to reach a critical mass that would effectively warn people about getting their products until Asus demonstrated that they sorted out their quality control.
    Otherwise, a relatively small % of people (of corporate consumers) who abstain from buying Asus products because they experienced problems simply wouldn't work.

2. Arog

Arog Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had terrible issues with evga back when they made their own motherboards and voted with my wallet and never purchased anything evga again. Many people love evga though and they seem to have a dedicated following. So I've gone the msi / asus route ever since.

3. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    ASUS Hardware is pretty solid in my experience, but everyone's experiences with the products can be a little different. ASUS boards and GPUs that I have personally worked with have been great and still kicking. I have an old M32AD i5 4th Gen model of theirs that I've had to replace mostly the Intel Fan a few times for, but the board and GPU are still able to handle most of my casual gaming needs.

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  4. Dan@Dan

Dan@Dan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My experience with Asus Customer Support was legit the best i had till now. My PG279Q monitor started having terrible issue with large swats of pixels failing partially. 3 days after making contact and following requests about pictures, i got confirmation that they will replace my monitor with a refurb one. Not even a week after the first conteact, delivery guy came with the "new" one and took the defective one with him.

To my knowledge, not all brands have their own RMA facilitys everywhere or at all. I used to own a Clevo P370EM which i bought from Schenker Notebooks. Schenkers support was awesome, but their partner responsible for laptops in switzerland wasn't that great. Originaly my mainboard was fried, reason at that point unknown. Was 1 month without a pc/laptop until parts arrived for replacing. The moment i pluged the PSU back in the laptop, it died again. RMA didn't check the PSU for cause and cost me another month without laptop. Didn't have to pay a penny, but still, really ugly and i understand your frustration.

5. vahdyx

vahdyx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I mean my 2016 MacBook Pro with touch bar is barely holding itself together but at least the customer service is good.

Sent from my Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk

6. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Man it's always hard to see people go through these kinds of stories. I've been there more times than I would like to admit. And to be honest no company is any better. They all come standard with a one year warranty and don't much care for how many years you've been loyally buying from them. They have your money and that's all they care about.

I won't go into deep detail, but I bought a laptop years ago off of ebay and it stopped charging. I sent it in for repair and wasn't covered under warranty because I wasn't the original owner. $800 later and a new motherboard I got the Laptop back. Same problem. When I was asked to send it in again I demanded a new power brick. Problem fixed. And they refused to refund me for the repairs.

This is why I will likely always buy an extended warranty with laptops. I like to aim for three years of use. And I'm no longer loyal to any manufacture. They're all pretty crap. But, I want to pc game on go so I'm stuck with them.

One of these days I'm gonna figure out how to build a pc in a suitcase and show them all. ;)

7. Arog

Arog Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've honestly never had issues with any Asus laptop I had. I've had 3 Asus gaming laptops and have become a huge fan. I do think the owner has to be realistic and realize not much care is given to applying paste at the factory...so they need to do due diligence and repaste right away. I've also never had an issue with a few sager/prostar/clevo laptops either. Even an old school Alienware laptop I had ran fine...but that was back when Alienware used a prostar chassis.

But that was just luck I guess. These days I buy from big box retailers with a good return policy that way I sort the laptop out before the 30 day return period. That's the key. Any brand can have issues you just need to figure it out within 30 days and return right away should it have issues to the retailer to get your full refund. And just keep buying one until you get a good one. The mistake is that some people RMA instead, rather than return it to the retailer. Once you RMA you are at the mercy of whatever manufacturer you bought it from.

hmscott likes this.
  8. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ^ this made me chuckle ;)

9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hehe... took me a few seconds, but yes, I agree.
    Why is he using a Razer if he blacklisted it?
    Then again, he might not have had the option to return it for whatever reason.

Anyway, I wouldn't touch Razer.
    The prices they ask for their hw are atrocious at best.
    Similar to what Apple would charge... and their cooling is questionable at best.

hmscott likes this.
  10. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Actually, I think at the time he didn't have a Razer. Then the new 15 came out and he couldn't resist himself ;)

To be fair though, the new 15 and Pro are pretty good machines. Yes, they are expensive, but they certainly have their place.

I'm currently considering one purely because they have low fan noise in Balanced mode. Decent performance. And with a dbrand skin, I can take it to work without looking like MrGaMeRgUy.

:)

*edit*
    A GX701GX is my other option. Muuuuch cheaper than the Razer's here in Australia. And they have a local service centre in my state. Unfortunately, the styling isn't really my bag. And the fan noise isn't ideal.