After 3 Asus laptops, I am never buying another one

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Rookie84, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    We do have warranties, however, it is shoddy at best and not properly implemented nor enforced, based on what I've seen so far. The minimum Service Warranty as far as I know is 6 Months, and for replacements is 7 days after purchase. However, the warranty for international items is complicated, the local resellers would normally function as de facto repair centers and offer "Local Shop Warranty" for such items. By that, I mean, opening it up themselves and trying to repair the parts themselves in the store, most of the time, they simply try to band aid the components to make the device at least "functional". They tend to not want to replace parts, considering it would cost them, which usually results in needing the item shipped overseas for actual repairs. If we need to have the item shipped abroad for repairs, then we also have the Bureau of Customs ( known right now for stopping a shipment of relief goods for typhoon victims because they refuse to pay for tax exemption but allowing a shipment of more than 3 Billion PHP worth of illegal substances into the country), the most corrupt department in the Philippine Government just waiting to slap a hefty tax on whatever it is you are having shipped back from abroad for warranty repairs, and getting away from such a tax legally would prove time consuming as well as frustrating. The BOC would hold the item until either you pay up or go through the legal processes which would drag on even longer, so most people just tend to pay up to simply get it over with.

Here is an article from our Department of Trade and Industry:
    https://news.abs-cbn.com/lifestyle/09/24/10/lets-talk-warranty

Items bought abroad (even from other local stores in my country that also sells the kind of product or brand) are also VERY difficult to acquire a warranty for in here, even if they are covered under INTERNATIONAL Warranty. Here is an article for it:
    https://www.yugatech.com/toys-gadgets/why-international-gadgets-dont-have-local-warranty/#sthash.IxJ68Uj1.dpbs#b0glMOGGg2WAxbUi.97

https://www.rappler.com/move-ph/ispeak/101979-ph-customer-service-problems

They are "working on it", and after a couple of years, as far as I am concerned, they still have not fixed it entirely. The DTI article above did state that International Warranty is honored here, but unfortunately... it is NOT, for the most part. DTI also issued a call to remove in-house policies from companies (Some of them actually only offer Local Shop Warranty and would not shoulder shipping fees OR even Taxes if you need to have the item shipped abroad for repairs and then back again.), but yeah... they are still present a couple of years later. They are usually too scared to take on big companies who have lots of money. Fighting back might prove difficult and costly and sometimes even dangerous, so people tend to just walk away.

There are some exceptions though, "usually" the Resellers who have set-up in the major malls offer full international warranty coverage, almost always 1 year. The catch is that, they sell their items at an astronomically high price as compared to other resellers and what they sell are usually the outdated models, and I mean severely outdated models. Rarely do any of these MALL-based resellers offer any of the new models, and I already consider models that is practically 2 years old as already new. And by my experience, whenever an item is brought to them for warranty repairs, they almost always go the route of the customer must have done something to the item for it to behave like this, or the item is working as intended by the manafacturer. Although, it does vary heavily between different stores, even within the same Reseller Company. And surprisingly enough, APPLE is among the few companies who actually offer decent international warranty coverage over here... go figure.

But anyways, if ASUS' Customer support is already terrible abroad, particularly in any of the more technologically advanced nations, just imagine how much worse they are over here. Currently, I am considering getting a Sager cause they do have an authorized reseller here in my country. However, I am much more interested in offerings from DELL, hence why I am really pushing hard for HIDEvolution, their International Shipping option is very appealing to me considering the state of International Warranties or warranties in general here in the Philippines.. That is my current hope of getting a good top of the line laptop that actually has real warranty. I do apologize for my extremely long post, just wanted to explain why I believe the warranties in here suck. The consumer always loses, one way or another. Although.. I am hoping that the situation would have improved recently especially with the new administration... DTI did become a bit more engaged and the Bureau of Customs is being threatened to be taken over by the military with their former head being sacked by the president himself... But international warranties are still rather complicated..

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I went through the same thing with asus and my Vivotab rt devices. 3 of them developed ghost touch issues after about three months of use. Contacted asus and nothing. What happened to the year warranty. So after back and forth with them, I vowed never to buy, use or direct anyone to asus again.

3. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not to jump in Asus's defence but I'd share my view on this. As it was said before, the exact same horror stories can be found for any brand.There isn't a centralized way to actually compare numbers and choose a laptop from the manufacturer with the lowest statistical failure/horror story rate.

Having said that, I've joined Asus in 2013 with a G75VX and a few years later a 751JY. I had no particular preference to have Asus written on the laptop, my requirements were 17 inch, top end GPU, good/quiet cooling and no insane pricing. Asus continuously checked these marks and so far I haven't had any problems.

Scorpik and hmscott like this.
  4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    As I said, my experience with GL702ZC was the opposite.
    Incredibly loud fans during load (which make it almost unbearable to use the unit without headphones) and ridiculously bad quality control.
    I am aware that certain horror stories exist across brands, but what I discovered with Asus is that when they apparently use AMD hardware, their execution on cooling and noise is consistently atrocious (same thing is happening with their latest use of mobile AMD APU's according to reviews).
    And other people even complained about Intel/NV hardware as well.

Not going to risk going with Asus again until they have resolved these issues.

hmscott likes this.
  5. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Here is an ancient post I made years back of ASUS laptops:

if you want a laptop that works, avoid anything from ASUS.

click on the spoiler:

1) Returned my ASUS G751JY

2) ASUS = 0 quality, it's a matter of luck if you get a 100% working ASUS laptop, or any piece of hardware made by ASUS.

3) All the latest and previous last 3 Gen ASUS ROG laptops have USB port issues, it's all over their ROG forums

4) And old post I made 1 year back.......

All ASUS laptops has a problem with the left USB 3.0 Ports. You plug in a USB 3.0 HDD to the left top or left bottom ports and it will randomly keep freezing the laptop completely. That is for all G750 series, JX,JW,JH,JZ,JS, you name it. don't believe me, just hang around on the ROG forums and see the jokes of problems they have. pathetic for the amount of money you pay. problems with screens, auto dimming problem, contrast problem.

I wouldn't use an ASUS laptop anymore even if they gave it to me for free! cheap Taiwanese crap!

Did I forget to mention...

their implementation of Optimus is messed up...it is very tricky to force games to use your nVIDIA GPU unless you do a lot of settings and even then users on their forums complain that the freakin' games are using the Intel HD Graphics! LOL! horrible!

you want Testimony ? Please take the time to read this:

why ASUS? because people who buy ASUS cannot afford Clevo, no other reason on earth...that's a fact...I was one of them...

First laptop, 2 years ago..

G73Sw:

bought it and ran home like a little child wanting to see my lights in the chiclet keyboards....ooops...no lights...tried all driver updates..BIOS update...nope..

Called ASUS, they told me to bring it to the service center it's an easy fix!! whaaaat?? I buy a 2000 USD laptop and go to the service center next day? oh well..I did and they activated it with their BIOS tweak utility that they don't give to customers! great quality control Taiwanese Engineers! send out laptops for sale that don't work properly as advertised...

after 1 week...the screen started giving me fuzzy images...closing/opening the screen lid fixed the problem....wow!! what did I buy? a 1990 Toyota Corolla or a brand new gaming laptop??

They said they need to replace my screen! wow!! the laptop can't last a week without being repaired! i fought for a refund and got it after a long hassle...

next laptop...

ASUS G75VW,

ASUS decided to remove their awesome creative sound blaster audio chipset and put some cheap VIA audio chipset which made the subwoofer act like a center speaker rather than a subwoofer..

also..I only had the option to get the matte screen...oh well...people say matte is good...right? NOPE! not on ASUS! the ASUS matte screens look as if someone spilled grease all over them. very grainy image especially if you look at a white screen such as these forums or Google..if you look close..you can see the pixels of colorful rainbows! again shocked in awe for this cheap crap!

So I called ASUS complaining about the quality of the screen, they offered to change it to the 3D screen not coz I want 3D, but only because that is the only screen they have that is Glossy..

took the laptop...2 days..I get a call...sorry sir, we changed your screen, but fried your motherboard....we have no spare motherboards...so if you pay $500 USD we can give you a G750JX instead or you can wait till god knows when till we get a motherboard from Taiwan...

so I got the G750JX...

very bad driver support....ASUS released the win 8.1 drivers after 6 months of win 8.1 was released...anyone who upgraded while having the old drivers either got a non booting laptop after the upgrade due to outdated bluetooth/wifi drivers or had horrible problems....

next comes the 2D performance of their GTX770M....there is something not right about it! 3D was fine and performed as it should...but 2D was glitchy and choppy...imagine even a simple game of solitaire..the motion of the cards wasn't fluid...I used to get jealouse when I see my friends' Intel HD Graphics perform so smoothly in the Windows environment while my brand new gaming laptop cries in 2D...opening tabs in firefox...wow..another plethora of jerkiness / slow motion

next...they put cheap Atheros WLAN chipsets which cannot connect above 72 MBPS!! wow! had to pay 50 USD and get a Bigfoot Wireless N-Killer from the US and pay customs just to have a laptop perform like a normal computer

next.... USB 3.0 problems..

basically, I had to connect my USB drives to the right ports and the left ones were kept for my mouse and printer? why? because ASUS cannot produce a piece of hardware that functions right! they claim all ports are USB 3.0 and they are all in blue color...BIG LIE! it wasn't only me, I posted this on the ROG forums and every single one of the members verified the same!

I can't find my thread that I started, but here are 2 examples I quickly grabbed:

Asus G750 USB 3.0 Ports not working with some things

and

Is it normal that the top left USB port is very slow?

ASUS? HELLL NO!!

Worst case scenario, save some money and wait, then get a real gaming laptop from Alienware and be happy for life! rather than bite your fingers after you buy your ASUS

A quick Google search on the G750JX presents exactly what I experienced! I've probably formatted that laptop over 200 times twice daily just trying to make it work but every time some quirk happens...

USB 3.0 sooooo Slow on ASUS g750 jx [Solved] - Asus - Laptop Tech Support

USB problems G750 JX

Just got a G750JX, and with it, a whole suite of problems..

Asus ROG: G750JX-RB71 Screen Ghosting..

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/727019-big-green-float-g750jx-screen.html

G750JX Cheap display, horizontal lines - www.hardwarezone.com.sg

Brand New Asus G750JX-RB71 has been crashing repeatedly

G750JX - 1day old - Black Screen and not Booting

Aivxtla and Flying Endeavor like this.
  6. MangoShmoo

MangoShmoo Newbie

Reputations:
    If all of you hate Asus so much, why the hell are you posting in an Asus subforum? Makes no friggen sense. Seeing a trend here with the same people having crazy problems....makes me wonder if you guys are the real issue here.

Scorpik likes this.
  7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hardly, I posted here to relay my experience with Asus and because I owned their GL702ZC which kept breaking down.
    Seemed appropriate I should mention these issues in a public subforum of Asus as it was on topic.

How are we (the ones who experienced problems BECAUSE of Asus) the issue?

8. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    you wonder about what you want and we will post what we want. This is a public forum for discussion and sharing user experiences, the good and the bad!

[​IMG]

kojack and James D like this.
  9. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had a $700 Asus X550 LNV with a Gf 840M it arrived with a bulging keyboard deck and keys that would get stuck (after a year no longer worked on battery even after changing that twice and has now completely failed). I left a negative review on Newegg after Asus pretended nothing was wrong. Also it had an issue where boost clocks caused the GPU to reach wattage limit and it would drop GPU clocks like a rock intermittently. I had to self mod the vbios to disable boost clocks and Asus could have used a similar fix to save many others with similar issues on 8 series GPUs in their laptops but they never did.

Now coming to my refurb Dell 7567 (Nov 17) I bought it for ~$700 including taxes it came with a 1080P IPS, I7700HQ, 8 GB RAM, GTX1050 Ti and a 1TB HDD. It had uneven core temps so I sent it in twice (FedEx will pick it up from your home) for same issue assuming improper heatsink contact and second time I asked for a 7577. Within a day they give me specs for confirmation of a fully loaded 4K IPS 7577 with a GTX1060, 16GB RAM, 512 GB nVME, 1TB HDD and even mailed my old 1TB BHDD back (gave me an extra first time as well lol). They basically gave me at the time a $1,200-1,400 unit for the price of a $700 unit, within 3 days of asking it was at home. First issue with a Dell and they took care of me unlike Asus that just pretended nothing was wrong. Dell would even call upon completion of each step of their repair process to keep me updated when I sent in the 7567 originally. I mean Asus does make some decent units like the UX series but support seems almost non existent should something go wrong. Also at least comparing high end Inspirons (not the crappy low ends)/Latitudes/Precisions with Asus high end equivalents units the Dell ones have always seemed more robust and well built.

Dell even let me have warranty after replacing my WiFi card and SSD while Asus told me that would void their warranty. The first time I sent in my Dell with my SSD they put the SSD in a anti static bag and returned it with a new 1TB HDD in the laptop because that was the “default config” though they didn’t touch my WiFi card.

I mean I may still buy an Asus in the future if support/quality ever got better but they seriously need to improve customer support granted there also some people who had issues with Dell, but still they are far more responsive, so this is just my personal experience. Every company will have dud models now and then but the good companies you will find are the ones who have good after sales support.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Ultra Male and Flying Endeavor like this.
  10. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Don't be, brother. You're right to be pissed off. I'm truly sorry you had to go through this.

Asus is a special case on consumer negligence and quality control. Some of their products, in particular, are large hits and misses.
    Years ago, I owned an Asus G750JM and it put me through hell and back. To this day, I have lingering PTSD from dealing with Asus customer care.
    From failing power supplies, a busted motherboard, the numerous back and forths with the headaches that are asus customer care reps, etc. That broke me.
    It's not the brand I write off entirely, but rather, their terrible dealings and outright disdain for their customers.
    I can buy their products, but only from a reseller that will offer extended warranty and support over the item's lifespan.
    In this case, I went with HIDEvolution with the current GM501GS XS74 (Zephyrus M) backed with the knowledge that HIDEvolution can be trusted to take care of such matters.
    So far, no complaints.

There's one message they get, and that's voting with your wallet! Call them out, and withhold purchasing subpar products until this gets through to them. That's our power as consumers!
    Our systems are long term investments, and the same care should be reciprocated by the vendor when dealing with support issues.

Mine was eerily similar to your experience. What's the point of an RMA if you're going to ship used, broken parts to the consumer after a repair? It's vicious, and insulting.