After 3 Asus laptops, I am never buying another one

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Rookie84, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Arog

Arog Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have had four asus gaming laptops. All were very awesome. I’ve had the g46vw, g751, g752, and now the gl702vs. I’ve noticed with the newer laptops like the gl702 we are seeing poor cooling solutions as Asus has decided to go the thin and light route on most of its newer models.

I’ve never dealt with customer service as I never had an issue with an asus laptop. My current gl702 was actually bought as a refurb and I had it for a year.

I’ve had to do some major tweaking and an extensive vent mod of the bottom panel to get decent temps in the gl702. But I’ve never had to do so many tweaks to get an asus laptop running cool to my liking. This is the first time I’ve had to use a laptop cooler for an asus laptop actually. I actually love my gl702 while the cooling was not close to as good as the g752 its very easy to open up, upgrade, and maintain. Also the back isn’t as fat as the g752 which means I can get a sleek case for it.

I cannot believe Asus customer service is that bad. It’s pretty sad that Asus is one of those companies that will not go the distance with their customers. But my experiences has been too good but then again I’m the kind of person that opens the laptop, repastes both cpu and gpu before I even turn it on lol. I could probably buy any brand and get good long lasting results.

hmscott likes this.
  2. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm.. I was thinking or considering to buy an ASUS ROG Strix either a GL503 or a GL504.. But seeing a lot of posts regarding them here.. I am having my doubts. Oh wells... The hunt for my perfect laptop continues..

hmscott likes this.
  3. undervolter0x0309

undervolter0x0309 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I personally had an excellent experience with them (3 RMAs). That said I've heard quite some horror stories with Asus more so than MSI.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Lunatik

Lunatik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Would avoid them like the plague.

5. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:
    Indeed, by the looks of it. Oh wells, I am looking at Dell/Alienware currently. :) Their new laptops look absolutely beautiful.

6. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Don't invest morally into brand unless it delivers goods you like. If product is atrocious it is the first reason to make conclusions to not buy it again.

undervolter0x0309 likes this.
  7. undervolter0x0309

undervolter0x0309 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think this goes both ways. Don't over invest in the negativity of a model to associate with the brand UNLESS they consistently suck.

I think one has to do thorough research from model to model.

Also a lot of boutique shops like HID/Xotic can do custom cooling to offset bad cooling design for example as well as test the machines before sending them out.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Availability of boutique shops is another problem in MANY locations.
    For example, in UK, there are no boutique shops which offer GL702ZC with thermal pads on the chips and GC Gelid Extreme thermal paste on CPU and GPU dies.

And another negative aspect of a boutique shop is that they can easily be more expensive than regular/stock.
    Its a trade-off yes, but I don't think a difference f several hundred $ or £ is justifiable.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:
    Yeah, I am dealing with the same problem here in the Philippines. There are practically NO boutique shops that offer customized mainstream laptops, we only have Sager over here. Warranties are also very difficult to acquire here, most of the time, due to the nature of the resellers common in my country. You always have to pay for something even if the device is covered under "warranty".

hmscott likes this.
  10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's quite horrible.
    Mind you, here in UK, warranties are a necessity according to EU consumer law enacted in 2015... the retailer or manufacturer MUST provide a minimum 2 year warranty... but just because the law is in place, it doesn't mean it will do too much good.
    I experienced several issues with Asus repair quality... basically, the GL702ZC I had broke down twice for an identical problem (a blown auto-fan regulator apparently - which eventually lead to a motherboard failure) and I actually had to threaten my retailer with taking them to court if they refused to give me a refund (because when the laptop first broke down a month after I got it and then a second time 10 months later, I inquired about a replacement or a refund, but neither the retailer nor the manufacturer said either was viable - even though that was in direct contradiction with the law - so when I discovered that Asus 'repaired' my unit by apparently giving me a faulty GPU which of course is soldered to the motherboard, I just had enough and requested a refund by threatening them with court).

Even if you don't have warranties (which is downright criminal), I just did a quick check, and in the Phillipines, there IS 'Consumer Act of the Phillipines'.
    I would look through that and use it as leverage when dealing with any suppliers of electronic equipment.

hmscott likes this.