After 3 Asus laptops, I am never buying another one

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Rookie84, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Rookie84

Rookie84 Newbie

Reputations:
    I had the worst experience with the ASUS customer service today.

I own 3 Asus laptops, one I bought in 2012 for $1000, a ROG gaming laptop I bought for around $3000 in 2014, and Transformer Pro 3 (basically a MS Surface copy) I bought for around $1200 in 2017. I also own a ASUS Zenfone 3. As you can see, I really liked their products and had been a loyal customer.

I had a lot of problems with the last laptop. First, the fan started making horrible noises. It was making grinding noises, then would come to a stop, restart, grind, and stop endlessly. The cycle repeated itself every 5 seconds or so and would happen whenever the laptop got slightly hot. It was so bad that I had to shut the laptop off every 30 minutes to cool it down, as grinding fan noises aren't really acceptable in classrooms or work.

I really couldn't afford to lose my laptop for a couple weeks, so I coped with the problem until I could find a time period that I can send it in. Then the laptop wouldn't boot and I was forced to send it in for a repair in early 2018.

I got it back, and everything was fine for two weeks. Then the noise returned, and the laptop wouldn't boot AGAIN. I had to send it in yet again. It was painful. I was no longer using the laptop I bought in 2012 (hadn't been turned on since 2016), and 17" ROG was way too big and heavy to carry around to school and work. I also lost all my data for the second time, as I didn't think that the laptop would fail yet again.

Instead of just replacing the SSD like the first time, they replaced the motherboard and screen. This time, it seemed to be working fine. Then after about 3~4 months, the dreaded noise came back yet again.

I was working full time, and I basically couldn't do any of my tasks without a laptop. So I coped with the problem yet again for over 7 months or so.

Fast forward to today, I finally decided that I should send my laptop in for a repair. I purchased the laptop through Costco, and I knew that Costo provided 2 year warranty. Thinking that it was a manufacturer's warranty that's extended (I later found out the 2nd year was covered by Costco, not Asus), I called Asus tech support.

So I explained my situation, gave my info, and the guy from Asus tells me my warranty ran out. I told him that I thought Costco purchase gave me 2 years instead of 1 year. He just tells me no and that I have to pay for the repair.

He comes back to me with an estimate of nearly $800, with a non-refundable diagnostic fee. Ok. Standard procedures. I understand. Although the estimate is ridiculous, I listen patiently, and proceed to tell my story about how this is the THIRD TIME I am having a same problem, how I only buy Asus laptops and even own an Asus phone, and I did not know the warranty was only 1 year, as otherwise I would have sent it in right after the problem appeared which was just before the end of 1 year warranty.

I ask, considering all the circumstances and how I'd been a very loyal customer of Asus since 2012, can Asus do anything to help me? The guy flat out tells me no, the warranty is over, and I have to pay for the repairs.

I was starting to get very annoyed, as the guy did not even apologize for Asus's crappy product and repair quality causing the same problem to appear for the third time. He did not even bother to pretend to care.

I explained my situation again to the guy, asking him considering all the circumstances, is there any chance that Asus can goodwill this work for me. I expected him to at least come back to me saying Asus would partially cover the cost of the repairs. Or at the very least, ask me to hold and speak to his supervisor, as I knew he probably did not have the authority to make such decisions.

But I am just told no again. I was pissed off. I'd been the biggest advocate of Asus products to my friends. I only bought Asus products and really loved the brand. I put up with all the problems with my last laptop but never lost trust in Asus to make it right. And this is what I get in return?

Apparently, Asus is too cheap to care about loyal customers. Any decent brand that cared about customers and the brand image would not treat their customers this way. I would have not been this angry had the tech support rep at least made the effort to do something, even if he couldn't give me anything in the end. But he couldn't even be bothered to speak to a supervisor.

So I want to tell everyone considering Asus laptops to NEVER buy one. No matter what your circumstance is and how faulty the products are, Asus doesn't care once you run out of warranty. They will never make any effort whatsoever to see if they could do something at least. Well, Asus just lost a loyal customer.

Thankfully, Costco will cover the repair and will also see if they can just refund me. I hope they refund me, so I can go ahead and just buy a product from a different brand. I feel sick to the stomach on having to use another Asus laptop to write this review. I am writing this on my ROG, which by the way, had been perfect for last 5 years, but I think their quality in both products and customer service both had gone to ****.

Sorry for the long rant. But the stupid Asus treated a loyal customer in such a way that now I am determined to talk anyone and everyone I can out of purchasing their crappy products and dealing with their messed up customer service.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2019
    Terreos, Darkhan, Ifrin and 2 others like this.
  2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I bought my Asus GL702ZC laptop in October 2017 from LaptopsDirect (in UK).
    1 month after getting it the thing broke down (fans started running at 100% all the time and refused to auto-regulate) all by itself.
    LaptopsDirect says I need to deal with Asus.
    I send it in, describe the problem, write to the repair team I would need them to examine the cooling assembly etc... had to wait a month for the laptop to come back due to them waiting for parts to come in and the holidays, and DPD was making a mess out of things, etc.
    Laptop comes back, everything works.

10 months later, laptop exhibits the same fan problem... only this time, 45 mins after the problem started, I heard a 'snap' inside the laptop (almost like a spark) which ended up in killing it entirely.
    I have to send it back in.
    I speak to the admin guy in the repair centre who says they can't patch me through to the repair guys as its not allowed.
    I repeatedly say I think the cooling assembly is inadequate or some other component might be causing the breakdown and that at this point it would be useless to repair the unit and that it would be easier if they can replace it... they agree but say the decision is not theirs... its Asus'... and Asus has a policy which says that a laptop needs to undergo 3 or 4 unsuccessful repairs before they will issue a replacement or a refund.
    2 weeks later, laptop is back with me and I start noticing after playing Darkisders III that my GPU is behaving irregularly (skipped frames, GPU unable to maintain maximum clocks, so the clocks were oscillating wildly every half a second - effectively producing 50% LESS performance than what the GPU should be capable of - someone else who has identical unit to mine ran same benchmarks and game, and on their system, their GPU behaved 50% FASTER with 0 stuttering, no skipping frames, etc - it was working great and was more than capable of getting the job done).

I had enough.
    Laptop is under warranty for 24 months, so I'm still covered... I call Citizens Advice about this since I recalled something about consumer law in EU... and they say that traders are strictly obligated to deliver goods that function, are of satisfactory quality and meet the description.
    My laptop met none of those criteria as I was effectively sold a dud that kept breaking down... and it was advertised as a 'gaming laptop' to boot.
    What kind of gaming laptop is incapable of sustaining maximum GPU levels on modern games?

Anyway... I sent the retailer the letter about all this detailing the EU consumer law and now I will give them 2 weeks to resolve this issue one way or another.
    I am aware that I could get a 'partial refund', but in all honesty, given that I was sold a 'high premium' piece of hardware that was prone to failure and on top of that doesn't work as it should, I think I should be given a FULL refund, or effectively a brand new replacement THAT WORKS with extended warranty (I don't care if its already been 14 months - they sold me an edsel).

Right now, I'm waiting for the trader to get back to me, but I've given them until tomorrow to send a reply in regards to my call... if they don't I'll call them again and write them officially requesting the matter be resolved in 2 weeks.

If you have any kind of legal option similar to that one where you are... USE IT.
    Read up on what consumer laws are in your area...

Apart from GL702ZC being a MAJOR disappointment for me (not because of the hardware... that's perfectly fine and AMD is NOT to blame... its Asus incompetence), I also used/had Zenfone 2, and that phone functioned well (0 problems with it really).

But Asus customer services are atrocious.
    They don't know anything in regards to technical matters when it comes to their products, they won't patch you through to a higher up in the office apparently, and also Asus, and LaptopsDirect do NOT make an effort to educate consumers about their consumer rights in their countries of residence, and in some cases are in clear violation of the said law.

Who wants to wait 3 or 4 broken repairs for a replacement or a refund?
    I suspect Asus did this intentionally so that they are betting the warranty will run out before the laptop 'breaks' 3 or 4 times.
    Point being, they shouldn't be messing with motherboard replacements... they should have just given me (and you) a replacement unit and salvage the data (or you salvage the data in that case first and let Asus replace the thing immediately and study the malfunctioning unit to see what exactly caused the problem, and that if newer units might be susceptible to that, Asus could issue an email or statement saying that any unit under the warranty can be sent in for tune-up RMA to correct said flaws).

For big companies like this, once the warranty runs out, they don't care... so if you have a version of consumer law in your country... USE it.
    They can try hiding behind their little regulations, but they cannot escape the law... and my experience was dreadful, that's why I'm bringing in the law to deal with them.
    If I have the option to do so and no satisfactory solution presents itself, I WILL take both LaptopsDirect and Asus to court as I despise these companies treating consumers like morons and getting away with it.

But, we could also try going to the newspapers and publishing this kind of behaviour on the part of the companies.
    Some people may laugh, saying it won't change a thing... but one good thing about a pc friendly law is that today, things like this don't go unnoticed if you make a huge deal out of it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    hmscott and Rookie84 like this.
  3. Rookie84

Rookie84 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for sharing your story. I figured I wouldn't be the only one sickened by horrendous "customer service" of Asus. I am determined to do anything I can to stop people from buying their crap. I'll see if any other actions can be taken.

Luckily for me, Costco had been very understanding and professional about this problem. When I first told the Costco Concierge of the problems I'd been having after having the call with Asus, the rep immediately spoke to his supervisor, suggested that I send it in for repair and told me that he can put me in touch with a department with authority to issue refunds so I can see if I can get a refund.

If I had seen any kind of similar effort made from Asus that shows how much they value loyal customers, I wouldn't be this upset. But instead, all I got was a simple "NO" every single time, even after I repeatedly explained my situation. I am really sickened by the whole experience.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Lunatik

Lunatik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I went through two ROG Strix Hero ii’s. The first one the GPU clock was stuck at 139mhz out of the box. The second one the gpu would bounce from 1700 ish mhz to 139mhz, sent it back for service. I got it back with a new mobo but the problem continued. Was forced to sell it due to being out of the 30 day return window. Safe to say I am looking elswhere this generation even though the new Zephyrus S GX701 looks tempting.

hmscott likes this.
  5. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Every manufacturer has its horror stories ;). You can look elsewhere : Apple, MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS, you'll find that same kind of posts complaining about botched repairs, bad customer support, faulty products etc.

If you like a gaming laptop and its brand has an OK reputation, then buy it, you have your warranty and return window in case it's not what you want.

I however have a blacklist for one manufacturer : Razer. But they seem to have improved their blade line-ups.

vahdyx and hmscott like this.
  6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Just because every OEM comes with their share of horror stories, doesn't mean they should get away with them. They should strive to learn from those mishaps and do a lot better (which is evidently what they aren't doing, as in various places, its just 'business as usual').

Its up to us to make a big enough ruckus to have them take notice, or they will keep walking all over not just those who experienced these issues, but other people as well (who in all likelihood will think they can do nothing).

hmscott likes this.
  7. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What I mean is that it's absurd to say I won't be buying from ASUS because X when X happens with others. Not that it's okay or not.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Its' not an entirely faulty premise.
    If you had a product from an OEM that kept breaking down and needed to go in multiple times for repairs for the same problem, then having to take flak from their useless customer services, why not abstain from buying other products from that company until the said company demonstrates they changed their behaviour and quality of the products for the better?

You don't have a guarantee that the same issues won't crop up again with another product they made (though in all honesty, you cannot get that kind of guarantee from any company... which is technically absurd in itself as we're supposed to be buying their products and rely on them, so we [consumers] cannot afford to be having breakdown with those goods), and AGAIN you'd need to suffer through their horrid customer services.
    It would be like pacemakers... you cannot afford making mistakes on those, otherwise, you end up liable for killing a person if that pacemaker fails... same premise with consumer goods... you cannot make a product that's prone to failure as many people end up having their livelihoods dependent on some of those products.
    Its' the OEM responsibility to ensure high quality control on ALL their units so they avoid these issues.

Even better, expose the company's behaviour and poor quality of so-called 'premium priced products' (especially if they keep breaking down after repairs with SAME problems) in the press so people would take notice and the company would at least be humiliated on a public level to the point where they will have to double down on those issues.

Unfortunately, we don't live in a resource based economy... we live in a monetary system, and for the moment, these companies won't care unless they think their profit margins will take a dip, and one of the ways of forcing them to improve is to expose them publicly and legally (if you can).

9. Ifrin

Ifrin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm on same boat friend, no more Asus products:
    Asus RMA experience and my rights

10. Rookie84

Rookie84 Newbie

Reputations:
    Man, sorry to hear about your horrendous experience. Yours seem to be worse than mine.