Aero Series battery life problem fixed

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by WilliamHan, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Holger

Holger Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been also experiencing the 3h battery life issue for half a year now (15x v7).

I tried using the old Nvidia driver 23.21.13.8878 from the Gigabyte web site.
    I now also tried the hint from @Jility above using the latest driver 26.21.14.3186, disable device -> reboot -> enable device -> reboot.

Both ways bring back the ~9h battery life for me. However, it drops back to 3h after waking up from hibernate. Rebooting Windows then brings back the ~9h. So I've been living with the really annoying workaround of not using hibernate any more.

In HWinfo I can see that the Nvidia GPU is shortly activated for ~1 second at 139 Mhz every 3 seconds when the battery life is short (as already observed by @rooney111). When battery life is long, the Nvidia GPU stays permanently switched off.

Does anyone know how to log the trigger reason for GPU switches?

2. Holger

Holger Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is a graph from nvidiainspector.exe showing the on-off cycle every ~3s (a grid cell is 10 seconds wide) after waking from hibernate:
    nvidiainspector-cycle.png

3. DvP

DvP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

my discarge rate is CRAZY hight, even if I disable the nVidia GPU completely. Do you have any idea by now what would cause that? My battery life is about 2 hours!? Crazy isn't it. And that even with -160mv undervolting. Do you have any idea what might be left to check for me? :-/ I guess I can rule out nVidia drivers by now...and btw. mine is also not spiking in nVidia Inspector. My CPU package consumes about 13W but the whole machine does eat about 35W (even with monitor brightness at 0%) while websurfing or checking youtube vids. I am almost out of options but this is just horrible. Have the machine just for a week btw :-( It is a 9750h with 1tb ssd and 4k IPS.
    What is left? Broken motherboard, ram or ssd!? I am out of ideas. Might try again with a complete fresh win installation and bord drivers first and then gigabyte only drivers next if that does not work :-/

4. betaelmer

betaelmer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I used my laptop Aero 15x V8 most of the time connected to AC adaptor and just few days ago, I realized I was experienced similar battery issue which if I restarted the laptop, then windows 10 say 8 hours of battery life. But once I put the laptop to sleep state, then the battery life becomes like 3 hours.

I have tried everything including switch different version of Nvidia GPU and Intel GPU driver. I also found out I no longer able to disable nVidia GPU through the BIOS 3D graphic feature.

I have ThrottleStop installed and as far as I can tell, even when PKG Power is at 2W and nVidia GPU isn't running at all, my battery life still sucks.

I pretty sure my laptop used to have a good battery life even after power resume before. I wonder what could cause this issue. If anyone has any suggestion, then please let me know.

Note: I found one reasonable workaround is to use hibernate instead of sleep such that when I wake up the laptop later, the battery life will be better.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  5. CocoLoco

CocoLoco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info, everyone. (remainder deleted)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019 at 7:56 AM