Aero Series battery life problem fixed

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by WilliamHan, Jul 2, 2018.

1. WilliamHan

WilliamHan Newbie

Reputations:
    If any one noticed that their laptops' battery life is only about 4 hours,maybe my solution can help you.

I think it is the problem of the Nvidia driver and the power management system. It seems that the latest Nvidia driver can not work well with the power management system. To check this, you can open the smart manager and click smart dashboard. When using the battery, if the temperature of the GPU is always shown, that means the GPU is working and eating the battery life. When it is shown as 'idel', the Nvidia GPU does not eat battery life. Another important thing is that, if you installed Wake GPU (for 8th intel version) or emptyproject11 (for v7), these two software makes your Nvidia GPU always work to prevent mouse freezing problem, which means it makes the GPU eats battery life. So, if you want more battery life, uninstall it. What I do is uninstall it when I use battery and reinstall it when I use external power supply. It is quick because the software is very small.

So here are some important points:
    1. Check the GPU temperature in the smart dashboard. If it never show as 'idel'. It means your GPU is always working and eating battery life.
    2. Uninstall the latest Nvidia driver, use the one on the gigabyte website. Or just use smart update to install the driver. The version I use is 23.21.13.8892.
    3. Uninstall the Wake GPU or emptyproject11 when you use battery.

Now my laptop's battery life is about 10 hours on balanced mode.

2. g85222456

g85222456 Company Representative

Reputations:
    I'd like to share you some story behind emptyproject11.
    In certain build of Window about 3 or 4 months ago, our test team found a issue when browsing desktop - the showup of right-click menu is a little bit slower(laggy) and we surprisingly found it was due to the weak support of Optimus (or Microsoft Hybrid) from Windows. However MS team has no short-term solution to it so we just made something which could awake GPU always......which is the prototype of emptyproject11. After that MS team finally come up the solution to iGPU and dGPU switch in the new build of Windows(also from NV's team) so the power consumption back to normal

jeremyshaw likes this.
  3. rooney111

rooney111 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

How do I know if my aero 15x v8 is affected by this? I have checked task manager and services tabs but no empty project. Exe running however the GPU temperature is always downs in the smart manager. Nvidia monitor says the GPU is "inactive" but GPUZ log shows minor usage ( gpu core Clock139.0 mhz and GPU memory clock 202.mhz): every other second.

I checked in Smart manager folder, empty project. Exe is there but I'm not sure if I should universal/rename/remove it.

4. steakikan

steakikan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try to sleep and start it back, and if you use GPU-z it will activate the nvidia gpu at lowest clock, so try hwinfo

5. torvista

torvista Newbie

Reputations:
    2019 04 new Aero 15X
    Reinstalled everything, forced use of iGPU in Nvida control panel, and even disabled the 1070 and still battery life is 3-4 hours doing low-level business stuff.
    It's a shame, but this is going back for a refund.