Aero 15 X w/ 1070 Max-Q

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by rickybambi, Sep 25, 2017.

1. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can hack the Dell XPS 15 precision drivers onto the Aero 15. I did it with mine and the trackpad, while still not great, is definitely better than standard elan drivers.

There's a how-to in the owner's lounge somewhere, though I can't remember which page.

Hopefully a similar hack will work on the Aero 15x. I would expect that it would as long as the trackpad hardware remains the same.

baniels likes this.
  2. Sodalitas

Sodalitas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In anticipation of the 15X, I already had this bookmarked. Hope this helps, and I also hope this works on the 15X! http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...15-owners-lounge.804575/page-47#post-10547809

CedricFP likes this.
  3. dm477

dm477 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is there any indication that GIgabyte will release a 4K version of 15X?

4. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  5. agent_pires

agent_pires Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The 15X isn't that much of an upgrade over the original right? Here in the UK it's priced only £100 more than the model I have. The 1070 Max-Q is more of a 1065 over the 1060?

dm477 likes this.
  6. agent_pires

agent_pires Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you need a laptop now I wouldn't hold out on the 4K I've spoken to my contact at Gigabyte and they told me they're still sourcing the 4K panels because of the 5mm bezel requirement. Might be some time next year or not at all (don't quote me on the latter).

dm477 likes this.
  7. dm477

Reputations:
    I was afraid that would be the case. Well I am just waiting till black friday sales before making up my mind. I am really interested in this, as it is more portable than the AW13 OLED and has the 4 lane thunderbolt 3.0 port for eGPUs unlike the handicapped one in the Dell XPS15. So it is at the top of my list to replace the KM1 but a 4K screen would have been nice for edits on the go.

8. buddy1065

buddy1065 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Guess I'd have to see 4K to appreciate it on only a 15" laptop, however the 15x is capable right now to run an HDMI monitor at 4K, correct? I don't even use my laptop screen right now to play games. Too much goes un-noticed.
    Meanwhile Amazon (ExcaliburPC) has beefed up the 15X a bit:
    https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-15X...rd_wg=BwUhG&psc=1&refRID=SB6FGCSYSE305YYSXHVB
    Wish they would just give a model with something more than Windows 10 home. I have Windows 64 bit Professional on my present laptop and not sure what sacrifices I'll have to endure with Windows home.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  9. baniels

baniels Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can get Win 10 Pro from other sellers. GentechPC for one.

The only thing I'll miss with Home vs Pro is RDP, but there are ways to compensate for that.

Multiple external 4K should be no problem.

10. dm477

Reputations:
    Well the thing with (a good) 4K screen on laptops, in the 15.6 and 17.3 inch sizes, is that it really helps with photo and video editing. I prefer it for solidworks stuff too. I never though it would work, but once I used in the P775DM3, I just got hooked to it. Now it is difficult to work with FHD. For playing games, well I reckon FHD panels are just fine. You really need that 4K for content creators, photographers, and those who want it.

I have an external monitor at home too but I travel a lot and most of my work is done on the laptop so having a nice 4k screen, like Dell's XPS15 would be a huge bonus. I like the idea of connecting a gigabyte box to the Aero 15 and getting (almost) desktop level of performance and be able to just unplug it and still get 80% of that performance. So that is my thinking. It is increasingly becoming clear that AW13 R3 offers the best compromise, even though it is a chubby little bastard of a machine.