Aero 15 X w/ 1070 Max-Q

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by rickybambi, Sep 25, 2017.

1. badsteve

badsteve Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i just got this email from b&h photo:

Dear Customer
    Thank you for your interest in the following item:

Gigabyte 15.6" Aero 15X Notebook (Black)
    (B&H # GIAERO15XBK4)

You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when this item becomes available. We regret to inform you that this item has unfortunately been discontinued. Please check back on our website for similar or possible replacement items.

We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. laptopmojo

laptopmojo Newbie

Reputations:
    I got a similar email from Amazon. Not a lot of confidence in Gigabyte right now.

3. Drekiko

Drekiko Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That’s surprising since this laptop just got such great endorsements.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/11/the-best-gaming-laptops-at-ces-2018/

http://www.pcgamer.com/laptop-of-the-year-gigabyte-aero-15x/

Do you think that this email notification was sent due to a huge backorder? It took me over two months to finally get mine.

Also, I’ll chime in on issues. Only issue I’ve experienced was the Fusion software was not installed and that the laptop has minimal screen bleed.

I Have not experienced keyboard chatter, the hinge is stronger/tighter than I expected and I haven’t noticed what others have experienced, the charger is the smaller one with usb (my laptop was shipped back to gigabyte by xoticpc due to panel damage when xoticpc received the laptop - gigabyte didn’t switch out the charger like some have said happened to them, maybe they adjusted the panel with the screen due to the damage?), the laptop with IC Diamond paste on the cpu will get as high as 80/85c while gaming - recently bought a stand that raises the laptop about an inch off the surface and have noticed the cpu reaches around 73/78c on the stand (laptop is not undervolted).

Hopefully I won’t eat my words but I feel like this was a good one in a batch of laptops that have experienced issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  4. laptopmojo

laptopmojo Newbie

Reputations:
    Well I was online with Amazon support weekly ensuring it was still on the way. I got the cancellation email mere days after being assured a shipment was on the way. I raised absolute hell but they had nothing of value to add- Gigabyte gave them indication they would never be getting stock.

Now, interesting point. There appears to be a new model (appended with CK2) referenced here: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31530065/

The cancellations could be that Gigabyte has discontinued the CK1 and have developed a new revision. Will be interesting to see what that new revision contains (new keyboard anyone??)

In any case I grabbed a new Aero 14 at a deep discount from a local retailer clearing them out. Experience has been fantastic, I'm not sure the 15x will warrant a $1000 CAD premium, especially given the new whisper mode released by Nvidia that allows me to game at high settings with a very quiet machine (capping at 60 fps).

5. sockfish

sockfish Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's interesting news for sure. Though my laptop code is "BK4" so not sure if there will be a US equivalent of it.

Edit: The CF2 looks to have the same exact specs, though this was interesting:

"Ultra-Thin Adapter
    To maximize your mobility, the AERO 15 comes with a new ultra-thin power adapter equipped with an USB port for quick charging capabilities"

6. Drekiko

Drekiko Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That is interesting. My code was also BK4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. n00bftw

n00bftw Newbie

Reputations:
    CF1 and CF2 refer to a 500gb ssd vs 2x 500gb ssd

[​IMG]

8. MaanKaas

MaanKaas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    BK is the US keyboard layout, CF is the British layout.

9. Adam Davies

Adam Davies Newbie

Reputations:
    Just got mine up and running, is this level of IPS backlighting normal? I can see this all the time and it’s driving me nuts!

I’ve been spoilt with a precision m5520 but needed something with dedicated graphics to run a Rift but the 15x is doing OK so far!!

[​IMG]

10. MaanKaas

MaanKaas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Sadly yes, this appears after a boot or wake up. It is solved by putting the brightness high once, and then you can lower the brightness again. The "bleed" will disappear.