Aero 15 X w/ 1070 Max-Q

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by rickybambi, Sep 25, 2017.

1. sockfish

sockfish Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I downloaded a program called "Powerstrip 3" and reduced the Gamma, the screen looks much better now. Pretty close to my Razer Blade. Odd that setting isn't in the Intel color settings.

2. JiDey247

JiDey247 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I should receive mine in the next 48-72hours from XoticPC. I guess i’ll Have to pay custom fees (since i’m in Switzerland). Also took a 960 Pro with it.

The only real annoying thing to me is the 60hz screen, i hope i’ll be able to overclock the monitor refresh rate a little bit.

Also heard some rumors that Gigabyte might reveal a new Aero in the CES 2018 at Las Vegas. It better be rumors only. Would be kinda pissed of to see a new Aero with 4K / or 120hz monitor + 8th generation’s cpu coming out next month.

3. magicmao

magicmao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was planning to only ship the adapter but they suggest me to ship all in case it is some other part's problem.

4. magicmao

magicmao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I mean if you are really into games then you will get a external monitor. 15'' is kinda small for gaming to be honest. And you can always wait for new or upgraded versions of hardwares. I thought aero 15x should be a mature model because they have sold aero 15&14 for a while but I have to return it because of the power adaptor after half month.
    All depends on your demand for now. For me, I need a thin and light laptop for work and can run PUBG at home.

5. quickie

quickie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So i am having another glitch with the keyboard, when i play games sometimes pressing the number keys wont do anything at all or activate the f1-f5 keys above them, i have to alt tab out of the game and go back in. Does anyone have this problem?

6. droidfury

droidfury Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have been informed that the delivery of my machine is today. I just have some questions.

1. Is it advisable to have a clean install of windows 10 or just simply remove the useless program?
    2. Is the precision driver a must install for this laptop?
    3. What are the other things that I must check>

Thank you

7. baniels

baniels Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Clean install is not likely necessary. I did it only because old habits die hard. I used the provided utility to make a backup of the recovery partition just in case. Note: the first time I did that it hung and I waited 2 hours before I gave up. On the next try it went by pretty quickly, maybe 20 minutes. So if you do that, beware if it takes too long, try again.

Precision driver made a noticeable difference. Easy to do, so why not?

8. JiDey247

JiDey247 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, just got my Aero 15 X and it's working like a charm for now.

I tried to overclock the refresh rate of the monitor to 65hz with CRU and it wasn't stable at all! I'm back to 60Hz.

I'm wondering what's wrong with that display. I mean 65hz isn't a big change at all

Did any of you successfully overclock the refresh rate of the monitor?

9. droidfury

droidfury Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for that. So I won't be performing the clean install then. Any recommendation on which programs that I must remove.
    Also how can I download the precision drivers? Can you point me to the link.

I just have it booted up for the first time and I would like to report some things on this machine.

1. My AC Adapter doesn't have any USB slot for charging a phone.
    2. I would like to confirm the stiffness of its keyboard.
    3. The double entry while typing really happens. Any idea how to get this fixed?
    4. The initial update is so damn slow even though I have stable internet connection.
    5. The speakers are good but not that loud but it is a lot better than my sager NP8258 even though the latter has a subwoofer.
    6. I don't know how to test the backlight bleed but so far I have not seen anything that bothers me about the screen. If
    there are ways on how to check the backlight bleed, please enlighten me.
    7. The weight of this whole machine plus its charger is very light or at least I got used to my sager which was very heavy.
    8. The all aluminum back is awesome and it feels nice but it is one hell of a finger print magnet. The Gigabyte's logo on the back panel does
    really glow but I just want to know if that can be turned off. It's not that it's bothersome but if there is an option to turn it off it would be great.
    9. I'd like to confirm the dimness of the right shift button.
    10. The overall keyboard layout is easy to get used to although its stiffness can be bothersome.
    11. The camera is just the same with any other laptops, it's not great but it gets the job done although its placement is really a blunder for
    Gigabyte. It becomes annoying when you I used it because I was used to it being on top.

So far here are my observations. I will update on some other things soon

Holger likes this.
  10. Roasty

Roasty Newbie

Reputations:
    hi all

just received the aero 15x yesterday. ordered from xoticpc.

having an issue with the laptop already.. when i try to Shut Down the laptop, the laptop restarts itself. anyone of you here know whats going on?

have tried doing a clean windows install and updated all the drivers using gigabyte smart update. but the laptop persistently restarts itself after i try to shut it down.

have the following upgrades (if it helps): samsung pro 960 1tb, 32gb gskill ram.