Aero 15 X w/ 1070 Max-Q

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by rickybambi, Sep 25, 2017.

1. buddy1065

buddy1065 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Where did you geet (chatter) your 15x and any mods on it?

2. redq

redq Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Now I had this laptop for a while and my impressions have slightly changed.
    I'll give my thoughts for anyone about to buy looking for user impressions.

First the keyboard is not as awesome as i first thought.
    I mean it's still pretty nice to type with except two annoyances.
    The upper Del key practically requires me to smash the key in order to activate hence rendering it useless. And even when it activates it often makes double key presses.
    Speaking of double key presses, Enter has also this issue. Though "Keyboard Chattering Fix" program fixes the issue. Just make sure to increase the threshold because i have seen chatters up to 70-80ms.
    Right shift key is slightly dim on certain lights as many other here have experienced.

The screen is nice but i wouldn't say it's the best screen I have seen.
    Maybe the colors are accurate but i honestly wouldn't know the difference. Both MBP or my XPS with infinity edge screen has more eye candy though.
    I don't know what makes me tick but I'm guessing it's either glossy screen or higher resolution.
    I appreciate the factory calibration because the default profile is pretty terrible.
    There is slight glow (not bleed i guess since it changes with the angle) in the bottom corners. It's only visible on black backgrounds in a dark room. Again, it might be troubling if you have an OCD or something.

Onto some good things, I may have overreacted to the hinge at first because it holds the tension really well even when on shaky surfaces.
    The build quality is also pretty good with no flex around.

Performance and cooling is pretty good.
    I'm on stock thermal paste, on a laptop stand with a 115mV under-volt.
    Undervolt goes down to 150mV on stress testing and benchmarking but 5 minutes of gaming somehow kills it. Only -115 was stable at this point.
    With fans on gaming profile, CPU temps maxes around 80 and GPU maxes around 70C when gaming with demanding titles.
    I feel adventurous someday i might try liquid metal paste.
    Core clock also easily overlocks around 200mhz. Maybe it can go higher but i haven't tried it. Honestly it's a bit overkill without an external g-sync monitor.

I like the fact that i can control the fans. At maximum it is very loud, loud enough that it would annoy other people in the room but decreases the temperatures around 5-10C.
    At quite it is dead silent, even when gaming. Obviously it throttles the GPU on quite mode but i enjoy the fact that i can game silently when SO is sleeping near.

Battery is pretty good. I get 9 to 12W of discharge rate depending on brightness and power saving feature while internet browsing with some downloads at the background.
    Just be aware that clock speeds are limited in balanced and power saver profiles, though performance hit is unnoticeable on light usage anyway.

The headphone jack also provides a good amount of power. My HD650 get too loud too quickly. Although the quality is not up to par with a dedicated amp.
    Someone a few pages asked if anyone had a humming problem on power a headphone amp. I have a JDSLabs Element and i do not hear any ground hum.
    However my charger makes a buzzing noise for about 5 seconds very intermittently.
    I don't know if this is a faulty charger, my old ass wiring in the home or the very poor electricity quality in my area because some other devices in my home has the same issue.

Overall i seem to be happy, though bad QC leaves some poor taste.
    It just seems that every device as some kind of chronic issues these days.

Closing down due to overheating is a problem. This thing does have a good cooling solution tho. You most likely have a poor thermal paste application.
    I played Quantum Break, Division and Witcher 3. Max temps are around 80 and 70 for CPU and GPU, and that is with the gaming fan profile, max speed reduces some more.
    Try undervolting the CPU if you haven't. It does help a bit. But i think your problem is the paste.

Holger likes this.
  3. wintermutex

wintermutex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    HIDEvolution no longer lists this laptop

4. sockfish

sockfish Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Trackpad with precision drivers is extremely sluggish over the top borders of windows or across tabs.

Can someone try hovering their cursor over the top of their Chrome tabs and see if it's really slow in following your finger if you move slowly?

Combined with the keyboard frustration and double key presses even with the chatter removal software, using the Aero 15X has not been a great experience so far. I have been switching between my old Razer Blade 14 and the user experience is for sure better. And that didn't have a great keyboard IMO.

5. magicmao

magicmao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bought an Aero 15x at the end of Nov. And half month later, the laptop keep switching between Battery mode and Power connected mode when I am running games or other demending tasks.
    Now it is in repari and they told us it seems is the power adapter's problem. And I could hear buzzing noise too from the power adapter and the light on it blinking too.
    I have to pay for the shipping since I bought it from US and now I am in Canada. And the Gigabyte US customer service asked me to send invoice two times and promised to reply on the same day. Yet they never replied.

Chose this one after a lot research, probably the best choice for ultra thin gaming laptop if it can works longer than 2 weeks.
    Changed thermal paste to liquid metal and undervolted 120mv. The temp goes to 80+ when I am playing PUBG with loud fan noice but I guess that's unavoidable for such a thin laptop.

Anyway, huge disppointment to Gigabyte. This should not happen to a $2300 laptop and my holiday gift gone for repair after two weeks of using! Not mention the bad customer service. Youhave to call US if you are in Canada.
    ASUS was much better. From my asus old laptop.

6. MaanKaas

MaanKaas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've exactly the same problem with my power adapter, even when the laptop is on idle. Very disappointed indeed for such an expensive laptop. I'm in contact with gigabyte service atm. Since I bought it in the UK (I live in the Netherlands), I contacted the UK service, very fast response, but they advised me to contact the German gigabyte service since I have to pay for shipping myself of course, that is where I am at right now.

7. magicmao

magicmao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I am not alone. Gigabyte sigh.
    Now even after I get the new adapter, I will worried about it to happen again. And it may damage the other part of the laptop.

8. quickie

quickie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I will be putting my aero 15x up for sale on hardware swap, what’s a good price for it?

9. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Considering its pretty new and that it comes with a 1TB nvme SSD as stock, I would list yours at list price and expect to be able to go down $150 max. If you customised it through someone like Xotic, $100 below what you bought it for is reasonable. Again, expect to be able to go down $150 more.

10. MaanKaas

MaanKaas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    May I ask, did you ship just the power adapter or also the laptop?