Aero 15 X w/ 1070 Max-Q

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by rickybambi, Sep 25, 2017.

1. kllla

kllla Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think Aero 15X is a solid machine.

So far it looks like it does what it says it does.

Runs pretty much everything I do seamlessly.

Photoshop, Illustration, Games, multitasking, etc. So far so good.

I'm not a huge display mania, so don't complain much about the quality of images I get from Aero 15x either.

I don't play much game. But, I ran Civ 6 in max setting and huge map scale. It did run just fine.

Zero glitch until I get really crazy number of units and buildings and enemies and so on.
    (This is way after the game ended. I tend to play after win or lose just to see what will happen.)

I know Civ 6 isn't exactly a demanding game, but still it caused lots of problems for my old laptop (Macbook Air 2013 lol)

Keyboard issues are cleared up for the Aero 15X so that's good.(Aero15 the earlier version was a little wonky)

Battery life is good. Way better than the Macbook Air 2013 when I first bought it.
    (Keep in mind that Aero 15x does its own battery saving thing and things get much slower than the plugged-in setup.)

However. If I could go back. And just give myself a piece of advice to my inexperienced laptop buyer state of mind...

I'd say....

Since I already have a good monitor for previous PC...

1. Consider just getting a kick ass PC 1080Ti + i7 84?? chip. Its much cheaper.

(But I am also happy that I can bring Aero 15X around.)

Or

2. Just get a stock version. Don't add too much option.

I added ~$700 upgrade on mine and it was not worth it. Especially the Clean Install which erased some essential softwares.

And the Minimal BLB option, which is absolutely unworthy. Bc all Aero 15X will have BLB no matter what. IMO.

Thermal repasting should be pretty nice though. And the SSD and RAM upgrade. Those three upgrades are good options if you want it.

Let me know if you want to know more about something in particular.

Edit**

I forgot to mention it is a fingerprint magnet.

The keyboard and the parts where my palms sit while typing got greasy as hell in first 15 minutes of use AND

Theres no designated keyboard cover for Aero 15X. No Designated Case or any Designated thing for this laptop either.

Low volume production is a pain in the ass in this way.

My hands are dry ass hands and I wash my hands at least 5 times a day ;) no BS

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  2. guregu

guregu Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the responses! The notebookcheck.net review was very helpful!

My only worry is about the low response times measured for the display in the review. Can anyone comment on experiencing ghosting/motion blur when playing faster paced 3D games like Overwatch and Destiny 2? Is there any noticeable input lag on the display?

I am guessing that Destiny 2 runs well on it as Nvidia seems to be giving out the Aero 15X in Destiny 2 themed loot crates to YouTubers!

I will be doing a little gaming (mostly Tekken 7), photoshop and video editing/animation so I want to make sure ghosting is minimal on the display.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  3. sockfish

sockfish Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I read all your troubles with HID with this all. Given what you know, would you order from them again? I had a less than desirable experience with Xotic on another laptop and I know a bigger company like Newegg would have a much better return policy, however the smaller boutique vendors have the repaste. Repaste sounds like a must for this laptop..

4. Drekiko

Drekiko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Sockfish - what issue did u have with Xotic? I have an order pending with them, would be nice to know what issues people have had so I can try to avoid a similar issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. sockfish

sockfish Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It was many years ago. In summary, many of these laptops are somewhat finnicky and the smaller boutique vendors don't have as seamless of a return program as the bigger companies. So if you have a specific problem, you might be stuck paying for a restocking fee or maybe some shipping charges, which aren't cheap. A friend of mine ordered from them and had a good experience so it's a big YMMV.

6. RAD1CAL

RAD1CAL Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a delivery scheduled tomo for my 15x from HID, I had a great experience with them last time for my 13R3 so I'm hoping all goes well. It seem they have very little stock as I've had my order place since October 12th. This could be an issue for those that select the no BLB option as there isn't much stock for them to check through. Will update post later of initial thoughts and benchmarks/ under volt if anyone is interested.

7. kllla

kllla Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, I think I could go back and order from them again.

But, I'd also let myself know they are not so called "hassle-and-problem free".

1. Their attitude and communication sucks until you really mean you are upset.

2. Their "Clean Install" isn't the best. I could do much better.

3. Their minimal BLB is BS for Aero 15 series but they wouldn't tell you it's BS until you find out its BS and you are pretty upset.

Here's why I might buy from them again.

Although I cannot see inside job for re-thermal pasting.

1. Majority of people on this forum are positive about the their result. Plus HID has the best thermal option imo.
    (IC Diamond thermal products replaced by Grizzly products and has Fujipoly thermal pad options as of my purchase.)

2. The hardware upgrade is good. I didn't have any issue. (I certainly won't do this on a laptop myself)

3. They do listen to you in the end
    (After days of EPIC madness-inspiring results and arguments....They did make refund. This is why I'd also strongly consider just getting a stock 15X from Newegg or Amazon)

Here's what I'd suggest you do with HID. If you chose to buy one from them.

1. Don't use their web chat. Its REAL pain in the ass to deal with their chat attitude.

2. Don't go for email either, they will get slower and slower in response time.

3. Talk to them on the phone. Their attitude is night and day different.

4. Go ask Donald for best communication. My sales dude Ted.....ugh......He gets the job done.....He did add all the options I asked over chat and did me a favor of purchasing the laptop using my Amazon account. Also...after long and agonizing hassle and waiting time....he called me in person saying apologetic messages and making refund... So I did get what I want in the end from him. But !!! If I could go back....or could make changes.....I'd advise myself to go for Donal instead (if you want to go for HID) Donald was nothing short of fantastic in my first few email exchange. His email was very rich and genuine, easy to understand, very fast response time. Whereas Ted was very dry slow and somewhat unwilling throughout the entire process except for the very first and the very last communication I had with him.

5. DO mention notebookreview.com for major issues. Otherwise HID wouldn't be so nice to you.

8. baniels

baniels Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'll chime in. I've had mine for about 3 weeks now.

As reported, total fingerprint magnet. A little annoying, but I'm glad that's worst of my complaints.

I ordered from GentechPC and the experience was great. Ken was great both before and after sale. Shipping was quick (after they got their stock) and the free (1 cent) IC diamond was a nice touch.

The touchpad driver hack was a big help. I hated the absence of the standard multi-finger gestures I had grown used to with two Surfaces in the past. All working well now.

At least 70% of my usage is at my desk, connected to two 1440p displays. I have to say after getting used to the Surface Dock, which has a single point of connection for power, usb, and dual DP monitor outputs, I'm not too fond of connecting 5 things to the laptop when I get to work in the morning. But that's a high class problem. I'm not really sure what can be done with the TB3 port... can it run more than one display with a dock of some sort?

My last powerhouse was a Dell M6600. That thing was huge (of course it had a 17" display). I am still surprised by the compactness of the 15X.

It's got plenty of power. It handles large Solidworks assemblies with ease, runs all the games I've tried, multitasking with adobe CC, etc. More than enough for me and a huge step up from the Surface Pro 4 I had been using most recently.

9. Wertzius

Wertzius Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thete are Thunderbolt docks available which should fit your need for one cable to conmect everything.

10. baniels

baniels Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That would be great. Can you point to one that would work? I thought I had read dual monitors weren't supported through TB3 - hopefully I'm wrong.

Thanks.