Aero 15 X w/ 1070 Max-Q

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by rickybambi, Sep 25, 2017.

1. rooney111

rooney111 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was monitoring via Throttlestop and my average is around 2W. It hovers around 1.3W to 2.4W with light web browsing.
    No BT mouse connected, just WiFi and using touchpad. Screen at 30%.
    Mine is Aero 15Xv8, 144hz FHD, extra RAM, 2x512 m2.ssd with undervolt -150v

My estimates say 8.5hours with light web browsing, but pretty sure 10hours may be squeezed out with lower settings. Still very impressive for a laptop with beast specs.

Also, how did you get 2 year extension from credit card if you don't mind me asking?

2. rooney111

Reputations:
    I had keyboard issues even after updating all the firmwares. Uninstalled and reinstalled Fusion, SMart stuff etc multiple times but didn't help. I had keyboard double entry, but booting up on Ubuntu, the issue disappeared. So I assumed it must be software related and not hardware despite being advised it was hardware issue and I need to RMA it.

Finally reinstalled clean windows and somehow my keyboard issues got resolved!

Battery life is approx 7.5 - 8.5hours with light web browsing, 30% screen and no bluetooth mouse connected. Undervolted to -.150v

iMbaQ likes this.
  3. Masejoer

Masejoer Newbie

Reputations:
    The numbers you're seeing in Throttlestop is for the CPU (TDP) only. That isn't total system power draw. With a 94Wh battery, a 2W draw would give someone 47 hours of battery life! ;)

My 15X already died (dead psu brick) - it was returned and I picked up the 1080p 144Hz model. I did run additional testing on this model, and tested running the screen at both 60Hz and 144Hz. Overall, the 1080p screen running at 144Hz causes the system to use a bit more power than the UHD/4K screen.

4.8 Watts idle, 0% screen, airplane, 1080p desktop resolution at 100% scale, 60Hz
    7.0 Watts idle, 50% screen, airplane, 1080p desktop resolution at 100% scale, 60Hz
    9.4 Watts idle, 100% screen, airplane, 1080p desktop resolution at 100% scale, 60Hz

5.4 Watts idle, 0% screen, airplane, 1080p desktop resolution at 100% scale, 144Hz
    7.6 Watts idle, 50% screen, airplane, 1080p desktop resolution at 100% scale, 144Hz
    10 Watts idle, 100% screen, airplane, 1080p desktop resolution at 100% scale, 144Hz

As for your last question: American Express or Citi cards will extend the warranty by another 2 years. Amex matches the manufacturer warranty and doubles it (up to 2 years extension max). Citi adds 2 years to any manufacturer warranty.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  4. rooney111

Reputations:
    I rechecked, you are right, Throttlestop says 1.2W but other battery monitor apps says -11.2W to -13.5W is my discharge rate. So how are you getting 7.6Watts at 50% screen?

I just tried to do the same as you, with 50% screen, airplane, 1080p desktop resolution at 100% scale, 144Hz
    Idle consumption wouldn't go below 11W. Can you please advise:

1. Any other settings that you may have changed to measure the idle power consumption
    2. What app/how are you getting the 7.6 Watts idle measurement

Notebook reviewers did their test and the idle power consumption at lowest load is coming in at 14W, given I have Throttlestop I'd say 11W to 12W is doable, but 7.6W seems very low!
    https://prnt.sc/mx427y

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Gigab...html#toc-energy-management-great-battery-life

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  5. steakikan

steakikan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Probably with Undervolting and some other optimization you can reach there (tho not that useful). I myself can only reach 8.9watt on idle with Wifi/Bluetooth off and around 50% brightness ( I use BatteryBar and HwINFO to check). Oh mine is also dual channel ram and dual ssd storage, so that may affect battery life a bit. I think only once I reach 5.8watt on the lowest cpu multiplier set-able on ThrottleStop.

6. rooney111

Reputations:
    I changed from 144hz to 60hz which reduced my lowest idle from 11.5W to 10.2W. I can't see it changing the battery life drastically though.
    I have dual channel ram 16x2 and dual ssd 512x2 as well.

Changing CPU multiplier, is it recommended? Did you see much difference with the multiplier on/off in performance as well as battery life? Thanks.

7. steakikan

steakikan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not really, I set it around 900mhz and the whole system stutter like hell. Frankly 10watts is more than ideal for this laptop, and you get around 5hour marks when watching optimized video with it (video with QuickSync support). Even when the system reach 7 watts, it will jump as soon as any activity detected, so it is kinda pointless for me.

8. willqqn

willqqn Newbie

Reputations:
    I get a delay/lag when toggling fullscreen video (not only on youtube but also other streaming sites like Twitch/Facebook videos). Tried a number of things such as disabling hardware acceleration, switching browsers, disabling plugins, updating graphics drivers, disabling Nvidia Optimus, updating Adobe Flash, switching to dual channel memory, updating Windows, plugging in the power supply and changing screen refresh rates. So far, the delay remains the same and not even a slight improvement. I know its usually normal to have some form of delay but for a brand new laptop that is decked out in specs, it is unacceptable for it to be around 3-5 seconds of lag. Even my older laptops don't have this issue! Does anyone else have this issue with their laptop? It's not just me is it?

9. abang81

abang81 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,I have question regarding repaste of aero 15 X v 8 4k, is it really worth it? I read that some users even with LM have still 90+ C temps.
    When I play game like witcher on 4k highs I get around 91+-92 C on CPU, on idle on high on normal fan setting temps never get less then 50 C.
    This machine out of the box was really nightmare, lag, frozing, hang I test the factory setting during 3 days until get blue screen and install fresh windows 1809 , but this also not resolved any problems, until I installed 1709 version, then this machine increase in performance.
    The problem I have now is temps , and power limit throttling.
    Any ideas how to solved this, especially temps to go down, I have available IC diamond but question is it really worth it ? Any user hacve done this before and can share any temps improvements, or any recommended setting ?

Thanks alot

10. drieschel

drieschel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey @abang81,

I had similiar problems with my 15x v8 4k. I could solve the temp problem by disabling the turbo with throttlestop. I can still play witcher 3 on 1080p without problems with more than 60fps in average and around 75 °C max.