Aero 15 X w/ 1070 Max-Q

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by rickybambi, Sep 25, 2017.

1. redq

redq Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My keyboard LEDs are going crazy. There is some switch or something to the left side of the mousepad, when i touch that area leds do random stuff. They light up even when brightness is off, random colors etc.
    Did anyone had this problem or now a possible solution?

2. g85222456

g85222456 Company Representative

Reputations:
    Maybe try update the Fusion software or keyboard firmware

3. ClstrKid

ClstrKid Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi peeps ! Just want to share my current experience quickly.

Just received my 15x v8 2 days ago, its defintely a great computer but and I would like to share 2 things I am facing right now:

First one, GPU / gaming underperformance ?
    I have been gaming a bit with it and I dont think it performes 100%.
    Fornite set on Ultra everywhere is averaging 70 fps depending on the situation ingame. I was expecting a bit more tbh, and when I look at the task manager, I see that the gpu has a 60 to 70% work load and the igpu shows an activity of 40%.
    On the other side, smart manager shows Temp of cpu/gpu averaging 70°C so i feel like its not fully trying its best, and somehow something is being shared between the two gpus.
    I've seen a few posts here and there of people getting better results while using an external monitor (hence putting the work load only on the gtx1070).
    What do you think? is that a normal behavior ?

I am running on a clean installed windows 1803, pretty much all drivers manually installed (igpu AND dgpu last drivers versions, greater than the ones proposed by smart update)
    CPU undervolted by -0.130

Seconde one, a battery life of 4h30 max, not playing game, juste browsing on chrome. GPU temp is marked Idle on the smart manager, and WakeupGPU not running.
    "Day long" battery was one of this laptops assets, so I am a bit concerned there i have to say.

If anyone has some insight on that
    Cheers !

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  4. bl00dcat

bl00dcat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey ^.^

I tried to play on The Division and The Ghost Recon® Wildlands with Ultra setting and my the task manager show 100% load for CPU and GPU. Temp was 86 °C and 80 °C for CPU and GPU (I have undervolt (-0.170)+ repast on liquid metal , clean install Windows 10 without any software The gigabyte excluding Fusion for keyboard led)

About a "Day long" where you find it ? On official site - tap they told about 10 Hours on maximum (I think it's possible if you shutdown wifi+BT , get screen brightness to low level and switch battery mode to ECO and you should use only notepad w dark theme).

P.S. Check in Windows 10 settings for battery mode, it will be in balance mode.(I don't trust the smart manager it's very baggy software)

5. redq

redq Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Didn't work unfortunately..

Is there a way to disable backlight completely?
    I cant take this laptop to work anymore because as you might imagine it would be pretty embarrassing if the keyboard started to to do random rainbow coloring in the middle of the meeting.

6. Mrh58

Mrh58 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Still think about the order. Alternatives from MSI and Razer looks like a bit disappointing.

Are there any significant problems with a clean installation of Windows? Can I use NVIDIA native drivers without issues? is it possible to completely abandon Gigabyte software?

Thank you!

7. MaanKaas

MaanKaas Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Right now, I am on NVIDIA Graphic 22.21.13.8554. If I update to the latest driver from smartupdate 24.21.14.1163. My computer runs really hot on idle and my fans are loud. Does anyone experience the same?

8. bl00dcat

bl00dcat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi ! You can read my review.

Yes, if you make clean installation of Windows, you should use Nvidia native drivers w/o issues and update it from Nvidia site. (I do it without any problem) Also you should use Intel native drivers (better for you it's soft from intel - Intel Driver and Support Assistant. Program can find all drivers whats you need and make install, also it help you check drivers updates from intel.)
    Unfortunately for keyboard led you should install Gigabyte Fusion software and if you need it Gigabyte Smart Manager for use a FN key combinations (I don't installed last one).

9. Anddo24

Anddo24 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Whats up with all the (DCH) drivers?

Worth installing?

10. armikael

armikael Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys. Waiting for FedEx with my Aero and preparing for clean Windows install.
    Can you please provide an updated list with drivers for this notebook?
    For example, I found this (Gigabyte AERO 15X NVIDIA Graphics Driver 23.21.13.8878 for Windows 10 64-bit) recommended for Aero 15X driver from NVidia, but it looks like was released in May 2017.
    On NVidia official site I see the more updated version, but I'm not sure if in our case newer means is really better.
    As I understand from different topics it is better to install all drivers manually and not via SmartUpdate.
    Could somebody please provide links to recommended drivers?

UPD: Ok, so I found official Gigabyte page with drivers:
    https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Laptop/AERO-15X--i7-8750H#support-dl-driver-vga

Still a little bit confused about different versions that appear there. Especially, in video drivers and Utilities.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018