Aero 15 X w/ 1070 Max-Q

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by rickybambi, Sep 25, 2017.

1. shunshul

shunshul Newbie

Reputations:
    aha. I thought about it as I clicked on Post Reply lol.
    I'll try to remove that stick and see what comes of it. Can I also disable it in BIOS?

2. megadip

megadip Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i uninstalled gigabyte fusion, and the lag that happens when opening task manager disappeared!!

For sure the keyboard software is causing issues/ lagging the laptop.

Gigabyte, get back on the ball! The software you release is glitchy and crappy. I am still on day 1 nvidia drivers, and am scared to update since i work on this laptop, and at times i need to leave it on overnight compiling. 3k laptop, have to treat like its a crappy 500 used laptop.

3. shunshul

shunshul Newbie

Reputations:
    That was it! No heating up anymore after removing the 2nd M.2 stick. I guess it might be a faulty unit? It's a 970 EVO 250GB.

4. Shermo

Shermo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Probably not faulty, NVME drives do run quite hot and it doesn't really get any active cooling from a fan.

bberry110 likes this.
  5. jrmtz85

jrmtz85 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, I have a 1TB WD Black and it sometimes feels warm there too. Operating temp for these seems to be 0-70C.

6. jrmtz85

jrmtz85 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Would even a small bit of thermal pad help here? Maybe it would push heat more towards the bottom of the chassis instead of the palmrest?

7. Anddo24

Anddo24 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's like they listened or something...
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Laptop/AERO-15X--i7-8750H#support-dl-driver-vga

Sidenote- I called customer service yesterday to inquire about getting new screws for my unit.
    I was then redirected to email customer service instead.. I found that kinda funny..

Anyway the plan is to open my unit and apply some IC diamond paste.. My slightly older laptop
    uses the same compound and I'm still getting day one temps after almost two years; never seen my cpu hit more than 87c, gpu has never gone north of 80c.

My Aero unit is just ok thermally.. I have noticed that CPU heavy games will push the thermals to the limit.
    Games like Tomb Raider and Assassin's Creed will lock you into 90c CPU/GPU guaranteed.. Whereas games
    like Nier Automata and Yakuza 0 behave within normal limits 78c cpu, 83c gpu..

I use this laptop for work as well.. It's by far the best day to day laptop I've ever used. The temps and fan noise
    are almost nonexistent, and the battery is a world beater.

I'll look into the Fusion software glitch.. I haven't noticed it personally.

8. divv

divv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Moved to a different thread.

9. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It looks like they are getting very close to having the almost perfect laptop for it's target audience. It seems keyboard is the only area they need to fix (and maybe a bit of their software). I think these two issues are the only things which are making people have a go at the Razer Blade/XPS 9570 instead.

10. megadip

megadip Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Yea, the lagging from the fusion keyboard software was bad.

With the pastes, i got LM done by HID, so im not too sure the performance differences from IC.

Even with undervolt at -125mv , and deep cool fan curve. I still hit thermal throttle on overwatch.

With the new drivers for nvidia on gigabytes driver page , brings some hope.

But even then, they are good motherboard manufactures, just not laptops with their software.