Aero 15 vs. XPS 15

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by jefflackey, Jun 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jefflackey

jefflackey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, sorry for the misread on the GPU. That is of course correct.

And I understand what you mean about the build quality if you're talking chassis. I was thinking of the complaints people have about poor thermal pasting, etc.

2. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The cooling in the Aero 15 is superior, even with the stock paste. And it's a much quiter machine. Since I've never seen people in the Aero 14 thread complaining about the internals, I can only assume they're minimal, and the Aero 15 should be no different.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

3. Althernai

Althernai Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I bought an XPS 15 long before the Aero 15 came out (my old laptop broke) and from my experience, the horror stories are not typical. It's a really nice machine and while I've had a few driver-related problems, they've mostly been resolved. That said, if I was buying today, it would be a pretty difficult decision. Here are the differences as I see them:
    • As has already been mentioned, the GPU. I've found that the 1050 in the XPS suits my needs just fine, but if you want to do serious gaming, the 1060 is literally twice as fast.
    • The XPS has the option of a 4K display which is really nice (although it's glossy so if you really like matte displays the FHD one might be better).
    • The Aero keyboard has a numpad and also fancier lighting options.
    • The Aero appears to be quite a bit more expensive. The 7700HQ / 16GB RAM / 512GB SSD option is $1900 at both Amazon and Newegg. A similarly configured XPS with the 4K display is $1600 at Microcenter.
    • The Aero has a 4x Thunderbolt port (XPS is 2x), 3 USB 3.0 ports (XPS has 2) and an Ethernet port (XPS has none).
    • The Aero is slightly bigger and slightly heavier.
    • According to notebookcheck, the Aero is quieter, but also hotter.
    It's a tough call. If you can get the Aero for somewhat less than $1900 or if the XPS is more than $1600, I would probably go with the Aero.

4. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  5. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Ah! No no @jefflackey the Dell Outlet is different from the Dell Business Outlet! Just a misunderstanding.

You need to search for the Dell business outlet to find the Precision!

6. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    While some might prefer the Aero 15's keyboard with the numpad, this feature would prevent me from buying the notebook. I had a Dell Latitude 5570 before my current Precision 5510 and found that the small palmrest area to the left of the touchpad made it uncomfortable to use.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.