Aero 15, gentechpc or hidevolution? Qc problems?

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by e1evenz1n, Jul 23, 2017.

1. RobonHood

RobonHood Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm definitely interested in getting another device, but with everything and the announcement of the Aero 14 - 1050 Ti with thunderbolt 3, and the extra nvme I may just wait a few months again and see what drops. The Aero's are really the only devices in my mind as far as portability goes, its just a matter of vendor (definitely not GenTech again xD). I think that the panel used in the Aero and as well the Sager Np8952 just tends to have the bleeding issues and I'm looking to avoid that if I can, so by maybe going with the 2560 panel in the 14 I'd fair better.

Idk this my first time purchasing a large purchase laptop and I feel kinda spurned it won't stop my from doing it again, but I'll definitely work with vendors a little more beforehand I suppose.

e1evenz1n and Darkhan like this.
  2. Dan@Dan

Dan@Dan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If I had to pick and 1050ti laptop, I'd go with for the xps 15 or check out what reviews say about the Asus ux550v%.

Since the Aero 14 is already out with a 1060, I'd never pick the 1050ti, but that's just me wanting more-or-less gpu power.

Darkhan likes this.
  3. RobonHood

RobonHood Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So the main issue with both those devices is 1. GTX 1050's not Ti's, 2. the 9560 has a x2 thunderbolt 3 port and kills egpu performance. 3. the UX550 has the same screen I had issues with on the Aero 15 with the same problems and worse battery life.

The thought with the Aero 14 1050Ti is it's still an upgrade performance-wise to me (coming from an 860m) and will play what I wanna play fine. With the added m.2 bay and the thunderbolt 3 port it serves as a better hopefully cheaper alternative the the 1060-14/15. If they price it right (hoping for 1200-1400 USD mark) its a more budget friendly option saving me $1k that I could spend on other things while still being portable.

Idk I really liked the 14 before the 15 was announced but because it only had 1 m.2 and no thunderbolt it killed the device for me. Plus the screen is proven to be nice and it should hopefully carry over the same display from its 1060 brother.

With that said I'm still getting quotes from other distributer's in regards to another 15 since I don't know when the 14 will drop.

4. Dan@Dan

Reputations:
    You're right, the XPS is non-Ti. The UX550 has a 1050Ti model version tho. The 14 is really a nice choice if you're going to fire it with a eGPU. Maybe the will bring a refreshed 14 with a 1060? Always a shame those laptops. Ther's always the one or another thing that makes them inperfect so that it hurts. :/

5. e1evenz1n

e1evenz1n Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I get what you mean. You come to expect QC to be on par for a product at that price range(above average for laptops), but unfortunately that doesn't seem to hold true for most manufacturers. I wish manufactures or resellers would post pics of displays with BLB on them as a reference of how much BLB is considered acceptable for each type of panel/display for reference.

I was considering the 4k variant but I was informed that the ETA for that is in October, unfortunately I couldn't wait that long. I was also told that powering the 4k display would drain more battery than the fhd1080p display.(correct me if I'm wrong, I'm very uneducated regarding these matters). If true this was a big no-no for me, since the performance to battery/size ratio is the primary reason I'm buying this. That being said, I wish the default resolution was 1440p.

Service for me from hidevolution has been absolutely exceptional so far, I had a lot of various requests and modified my order several times after purchasing the laptop. (I couldn't make up my mind on the configurations and other services like undervolt etc) My order seems like it's just about ready to be shipped, I'm fairly certain I should get it by next week. I will post pics of what the BLB on mine looks like.

Thanks for the advice about the xtu Dan. Mr fox advised the same of me and was gracious enough to inform me of other matters regarding my configurations as well. The xtu settings on mine seems to be -.100 volt for my processor.

Ron101 likes this.
  6. Ron101

Ron101 Newbie

Reputations:
    Can you give me a little breakdown on the spec you ordered. Also looking at ordering one the end of the month.

7. e1evenz1n

Reputations:
    I got the 30 day deadpixel warranty, CLU paste job and an undervolt service from hidevolution. I was very tempted to get the minimum BLB service too which is a 100$.

Aside from that I ended up purchasing a 960 Evo ssd from craigslist for 80$ and plan to upgrade the ram to a 32gb as soon as I figure out the model number for the default 16gb one.

Ron101 likes this.
  8. Esaelias187

Esaelias187 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    how do you know they will actually check for backlight bleed

9. e1evenz1n

Reputations:
    The same way you know they'll ship the product if you pay for it, trust in the manufacturer mainly. I can imagine there being a high chance of buyer's remorse if you purchase this option atm due to a lack of information. Unfortunately we do not have an image of a display with minimum backlight bleed for reference. I think its a good option if this means that there is next to none or no BLB at all. But if you get a display with more noticeable bleed, I imagine that money is perhaps better spent in upgrading your ram or ssd.

10. Dan@Dan

Reputations:
    If you get a laptop with BLB, they didn't check. :p If you get a BLB free one, they might or might not have checked!

Esaelias187 likes this.