Advice on moving to Italy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Qing Dao, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle

Kyle JVC SZ2000 Dual-Driver Headphones

Reputations:
    What passports do you have?

2. Domo_x9

Domo_x9 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi
    I am polish engineering student living in Padova for 8 months (Erasmus).
    The area is very nice, people are nice, but i think that you may face many difficulties here:
    1) Finding a job for foreigners is quite hard. I tried many times, send my CV, even for companies that were looking for native polish speakers. Italians have very weird law regulating employement, for example when you are employed on "non time limited contract" (don't know english name), the employer almost can't fire you, so their law is very non-elastic. Also as i heard only 2% people in Italy find a job from ad, mostly from being recommended. Comparing to Poland in italy there is a lot of minorities and Italians are not very welcome to them in general. Of course fluent italian is usually required, for me it was a problem.
    2) Life here is quite expensive, veneto is very expensive region, even Sardegna is cheaper. For example groceries here are 50% more expensive than in Poland and ~15-30% more expensive than Sardegna.
    3) Flats are rather expensive and some rental agencies offer really bad payment condidtions, like paying 2000euro caution.
    I hope I helped you a bit :)

3. Qing Dao

Qing Dao Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks Domo. My girlfriend has been helping me look for properties to rent. It seems like you need to pay 4 months of rent up front, including the security deposit. One plus though is that it looks like renting in Padova is roughly the same as in Shanghai for something equivalent, or cheaper if it's out of the city center. I expect groceries to be a whole lot more expensive than I am paying for them, but it is good that I almost always just cook at home.

Only USA.

4. yuio

yuio NBR Assistive Tec. Tec.

Reputations:
    like a few have said, I wouldn't go down expecting to get a job... Italy's economy is really poor and there are there are fundamental signs that it's about to get quite a bit worse, and you being a foreign national will be the last to hire and first to lay-off...

Ever considered long-distance and perhaps going do to visit over Christmas? I know it sucks I'm in a LD right now.. if you want to see how strong your relationship is... that's the way to do it... If it's meant to be it will be...

but either way best of luck!

5. misterhobbs

misterhobbs Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Geesh. I grew up only knowing English and then got a degree in Russian. I started taking Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian as well but they were way different than Russian. The Slavic languages don't mix that well all the time. Ukrainian or Bulgarian would have been easier.

Anyways, good luck in Italy if you do end up going. You seem to have a talent for languages so you'll probably be an expert in Italian by the time you leave.

6. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Why did you choose Russian? :)

7. misterhobbs

misterhobbs Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I knew some from a few classes before I joined the Navy so I decided to keep learning it when they sent me back to school and allowed me to choose my own major. It seemed like an interesting language to learn at the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.