Advice on me exchanging my chromebook for a HP Elitebook 8570W to experience low end gaming.

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Roger.J.Borowski, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roger.J.Borowski

Roger.J.Borowski Newbie

Reputations:
    So I have had this idea of switching my chromebook for a 2012 HP Elitebook 8570W. It has a 3rd generation i7 Quadcore(very old I know) with a base of 2.7ghz and 3.5ghz-turbo boost. A Nvidia Quadro K2000M 2GB DDR5 Graphics card and 16GB of DDR3 RAM. TL;DR Should I switch my chromebook for a 2012 Workstation? According to notebooks-center, it is supposed to play Crysis 3 at 50.5 fps, Battlefield 4 at 53.5fps, Tomb raider at 100fps and some Fifa at 200fps!!! But on low settings.

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I would instead sell the Chromebook and put in a bit of extra cash to buy a second-hand notebook that has a GeForce GTX 960M or better GPU. Such systems are trading in the US$400-$500 range and will give you a much better gaming experience, even if you're only doing so casually.

3. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Or you could replace the gpu in 8570W with GTX 965M MXM 3.0a

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    For little more than what you'd spend on that, you could get a whole new machine with a much faster CPU.

5. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, but in this case won’t be EliteBook;) For me this is enough of reason to justify such an upgrade.
    In my opinion there isn’t any analog to 87x0/85x0W series of HP- it’s just made from lovers to lovers, this design will be never achieved again by any of the new gen laptops. But anyway...I am an “old school” person.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.