[advice: new laptop] - I know it's another one...

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Zeratul, Jul 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeratul

Zeratul Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi everybody,

Yes, I know it's terrible to answer this kind of question, but I'm still not sure yet, even after researching for more than 3 months, and I'm not a beginner in computers, I just can't figure it out.

EQUIP: I have a toshiba satellite 1135-S1553 (Old one Celeron 2.4Ghz [xx(], but good 512 RAM DDR, when I bought it).

So, let's go to the point. This is what I need:

1- This is the main point: I want a light laptop (I don't even think about more than 6.5lbs). It's terrible to carry a "brick" around the campus.
    2- I'll need Wi-Fi network for my college/university. They use the standard 802.11g.
    3- I'll need, for sure, at least 128mb of dedicated video.
    4- If I can, I hope to get a good battery-life notebook (P-M ??), but it's not that important...
    5- Now, I think I'm too much a dreamer: I want to spend not more than US$1900.
    6- DVD-R/RW is not important at all.

Well, I was thinking about Compal (CL56). I considered other ODMs as well, like Quanta, Asus and Clevo. So, what do you think?

I'm going with this, by now:
    http://www.internetishop.com/product_detail.asp?item=CL56D17W

I hope I can help you guys in later posts (this is my first)

Good-bye, David.

------------------------
    Old one Toshiba 1135-S1553
    Celeron 2.4
    512 RAM DDR
    64 Intel shared video
    ------------------------

2. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I don't think going with a white box is the best idea unless you really want to. There are some really great options in this price range. Look at the Fujistu S6210 and the S6220 (has Dothan processor) and the IBM t41 or the t42 (little more expensive). Fujitsu also has the S7010 if you want a little larger display, but you lose their fantastic CrystalView LCD.

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

3. Zeratul

Zeratul Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for your quick answer.

I know that Fujitsus are better. It would be great to buy not the S series, but the E series (64mb integrated vmemory vs. 64 ATI9700). However, it's 64mb that we are talking about, and i really need 128. I liked the weight of the S series (~4.5lbs), but i don't need that low weight (6lbs would be great). About the CristalView, I don't need it if I need to pay for it (or be restricted with modest hardware).

I configured the E series with quite modest hardware, and it's still US$ 2,119..... [:(] wow... I'm a student, and 1,800 are already high enough... [:D] [:p]

Thanks for your help.

------------------------
    Celeron 2.4
    512 RAM DDR
    64 Intel shared video
    ------------------------

4. nonprophet

nonprophet Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you were happy with Toshiba, I'd say stick with them!

I just bought a Tecra M2 S-730 with: the new Dothan 1.6mhz, 60gb HD, 512 ram (1 chip!1 slot still open) DVD/CD combo drive, firewire, USB 2.0, 802.11g wireless, bluetooth ready, 4.9lbs, 3-4 hours battery life, 3 year international warranty, bundled w/MS One Note, XP Pro, very sharp/bright screen, firm solid keyboard, all for only $1,750.

I opted for the extra $99 to pay for Toshiba's System Guard which covers my M2 for 3 years against ANY ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE (yes, they even replace it if I run over it with my car!!!)Last week when I ordered mine, the Toshiba website was offering free shipping AND a free Epson color printer (c84) that I just used to make some incredible photo prints from my digital pics.

I had looked at all the best-selling brands, and had narrowed it down to Fujitsu, IBM, and Toshiba. I liked the Fujitsu's, but having recently converted from Mac to IBM, I didn't want to wind up with a PC that, while known for quality, is still on the fringes of mainstream computing (i.e. they say they have world-wide support, but I had a really, really hard time finding authorized repair centers/dealers when I really started looking/actually phoning some of the places they listed as authorized dealers/service centers), here in Oregon there's only ine place that sells them, Frye's (which is an awesome store but 5 hours from my house) whereas Toshiba and IBM support and sales is much easier to find, particularly Toshiba. Toshiba and IBM offered standard 3 year warranties, Fujitsu only offered 1 year and wanted extra $$ for more coverage. Also, after finally getting to see one of the Fujitsu S-series notebooks (at Fryes), while I was impressed with the screen and slim design, other parts of the unit felt "plasticky" to me. IBM's are probably the best, but for what I got with my M2 for $1,750 I'd have had to pay over $2,300 for the equivilent machine with IBM, and that still wouldn't include the free shipping, free printer, or the very important system guard insurance.

I'v had my M2 for a week now, and I'm extremely happy with it so far!![:D][:D]

5. Zeratul

Zeratul Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ok, thanks nonprophet,

But the GeForce FX ---> Go <---5200 is not as near as what I need. This model got bad reviews (not by sites, but by users. They're normally trying to switch the VPU for another one, just take a look at Dell Inspiron, 5100 if I'm not wrong). Remember: when I tell you bad reviews, I'm not telling that it isn't good for you, but it's just not enough for me. [:)].

And another thing: I'm not happy with Toshiba. I bought mine and it gave me a lot of headache... With a few weeks, the DVD-ROM/CDRW started to not read all CDs, and the problem only got worse with time. I replaced the drive, but it still doesn't read all CDs (but the problem is much better now), and my desktop cd drive reads every CD.

Thanks anyway, David.

------------------------
    Celeron 2.4
    512 RAM DDR
    64 Intel shared video
    ------------------------

6. notebooktech

notebooktech Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I do not think that white box is a bad idea - the ODM's you refer to are some of the top manufactures out there in fact they make laptops for the big brand names such as dell. Going white box you can usually save some money on the same system as the big brand names - the key with white box is to buy from a reputable dealer that has been in business awhile ask the vendor you are looking at questions about their service turn around time, who does the service work, etc .. check their customer satisfaction comments. Do these things and you will find yourself a with the same big brand quality laptop and more money in your left in your pocket after the sale good luck

Owner / Partner http://www.mtwolfcomputers.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.