Advice before purchasing MacBook Pro 13"

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Reverence, Oct 8, 2017.

1. NYCtech

NYCtech Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Id consider any ultraportable with a quad core 8th gen and mx150 over the Macbook pro. I got sick of waiting for them to put some PRO into MBP13, ie a quad core and a small dGPU, or at least the dGPU. I sold my 2011 and havnt looked back since. Too many cheaper options with as good screens much more powerful CPUs and have a dGPU. If apple ever gets its act together and refreshes the 13 after a decade I may consider one again as I like OSX.

2. NYCtech

NYCtech Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    To me the Touch bar was a flailing attempt to do something new. MS just released its ahead of its time Surface range, especially the Surface Book and Surface studio. Apple had and still dont have any answer to those devices. Hence why they are showing up in TV programmes and movies now instead of the old piece of fruit. I have no Issue with the 15, ok its a bit underpowered for what you pay for it, but on the whole its worth of calling it Pro, I wont back down a dual core 15w cpu with no gpu in a 13" chassis Pro. There is nothing pro about the 13. Hopefully canon lake will resolve this, if macbooks are still humming on. iPhones keep apple bouyant as until MS release Andromeda, its either iPhone or Android and a lot of oldies and hipsters love the iPhones, which have great CPUs but terrible design and in the past displays.

Im not trolling or bagging Apple out, Im just a realist, Im not Bias to any company. I like using OSX. So lets just hope by end of Next year the 13 will be like a whole bunch of other 13" ultrabooks.

3. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Macbook "Pro" hasn't been Pro level equipment since 2011-2012...the severe lack of ports, anemic hardware, removal of Magsafe (which I always thought was seriously Apple's best feature, and WISHED PC would adopt it), and a tragic keyboard makes it a complete fail. The ONLY good points Apple has is solid build quality thanks to a milled aluminum chassis, and good screens on the macbook pro (macbook air screen is atrocious..)

Your money is generally better spent elsewhere. And if you NEED Mac OS, I strongly encourage you to hackintosh.

4. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    The keyboard was the final straw for me along with the fact the top of the line 3.1 2017 Macbook Pro was slower than the 4930mx in my 18 and the 560 is pretty weak to boot. I ended up selling my Macbook Pro 15 2017 and hackintoshed my 775dm3 (My Macbook's parting gift was creating the installers for my 775dm3).