Advice before purchasing MacBook Pro 13"

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Reverence, Oct 8, 2017.

1. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    He doesn't like MacOS and MacBooks - hasn't given a valid reason to me, though.

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My point is times are a changing. The surface touchscreen/inking/dial equipped devices are coming on strong in the graphics industry. NOT JUST ME SAYING IT....I know that apple fans are against touchscreens....but they are awesome.

3. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    We only have a single device with a dial-like device currently and it's not only expensive but also not liked by the designers and professionals. I feel like Wacom will still hold a dominant position in the market the same way Apple devices do. Touchscreeens are optional and will remain so because the majority of people buying are currently looking for matte screens.

4. JimRack5294

JimRack5294 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have to agree with BlazerTrek and z31fanatic. The MBPs have their annoyances w/respect to PRICE but the conveniences are notable (even the TouchBar has it’s perks - although not essential IMO or worth the added cost). Had Mac laptops since 2005 and on/off with Lenovo Thinkpads (namely for work) and if you have no high-end user/gaming needs, MBP will do the trick. Again, just my opinion and go with your gut on the potentially uneccesary added TouchBar cost.

5. InvoluntorySoul

InvoluntorySoul Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    macbook pro 13 tb 2017's battery life is pretty bad at avg 5-6hr, considering XPS13 can get 10hr+

6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    You may want to correct your statement, unless all you do with your XPS is leave it idling at 0% brightness.

According to NBC"s standerdized tests, the MBP 13 2017 gets 8:39 hours of web surfing vs 6:48 hours on the XPS 13 9370.
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-13-9370-i5-8250U-4K-UHD-Laptop-Review.279736.0.html
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-13-Mid-2017-i5-Touch-Bar-Review.227154.0.html

7. InvoluntorySoul

Reputations:
    mine does not get anywhere close to 8hr, i'll be lucky to get 6 using nothing but chrome and spotify running on 10.13, 1 or 2 youtube videos will turn that into 5hr. you are also comparing apple and oranges XPS13 can get 10hr+ easy on 1080p screen

8. don_svetlio

Reputations:
  9. InvoluntorySoul

Reputations:

You are comparing apple to orange again, the non TB has a 15W CPU and a larger battery comparing to 28W on the TB version. Longer battery life is expected. Please do a basic google search before posting misleading information.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  10. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    I could say the same - the TDP you are referring to is the maximum point at which the BIOS will limit performance and clockspeed - the CPUs themselves are identical dual-core ULVs with different iGPUs. And no, it's not apples to oranges - baseline MBP vs baseline XPS or top end XPS vs top end MBP - comparing apples to oranges would be taking the non-TB MBP and the 4K XPS 13.