Advantage of getting Centrino vs. others

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by VEROLOPEZ143, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VEROLOPEZ143

VEROLOPEZ143 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    From reading all the posts it seems Intel Centrino is not the way to go What should I ask for?

2. srdhkl

srdhkl Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Centrino is a very good option. I apologize if any of my posts seem to degrade it. It is the best option if you want long lasting battery life. The higher end Centrino computers are fast, but can be expensive...that may be the only negative aspect of the Centrino computers.

Centrino offers a balance between power and mobility. If you want a truly mobile notebook, Centrino is the way to go.

If you are on a tight budget but want good performance then you would want a Pentium 4 processor or a Mobile Pentium 4 processor (slightly more expesnive than a regular pentium 4 processor)

3. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    There's nothing inherently wrong with Centrino, it's just people misunderstand what it actually is -- A Pentium M chip combined with an 802.11x internal Intel wireless card -- nothing more and nothing less. If you want a Pentium 4 processor in your notebook instead of Pentium M, then don't go with Centrino.

But if you want 802.11x and a mobile processor (Pentium M) that has decent performance and efficient power usage, then Centrino is fine. Maybe you pay a little more for the whole branding thing and you will pay a little more for the mobile aspect of this processor.

checkout Intel's FAQ for a complete run down:

http://www.intel.com/products/mobiletechnology/centrino/index.htm?iid=ipp_wireless+centrino&

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.