[Advanced User] Thinking to buy a Laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9, Jul 19, 2019.

1. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Big Note:-
    I prefer to have an unlocked BIOS or at least an easy unofficial/official way to modify the BIOS rather than disassembling Laptop and modify it through the hard way :) I have heard MSI have key combo to show all BIOS options but I'm not quite sure :)

Pretty tired to disassembly my own laptop and reassembly again over & over & over & over... :oops: Plastic is getting old... my own laptop is 4 years old... so you can imagine how much I disassembly/reassembly for BIOS modding & experimenting settings.. so.. that is why I prefer an unlocked BIOS... even if it is unofficial way :rolleyes:

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Anything under 1000$ is really important

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    Saudi Arabia [Currently] but I might be back to Romania in a few months

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: ASUS,Lenovo,MSI
    b. Dislike: Dell, Huawei, HP, Acer
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Compiling or building for any developments, Gaming, AutoCAD

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Leaving it on my desk mostly

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yes, for example... AAA Titles with some online gamings [Star Citizen, GTA V, PES, Football manager, Call Of Duty, BattleField V, Forza Motorsports, Project CARS 2, ACE Combat 7 : Skies Unknown, and pretty much any future games that might need some GPU/CPU power

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Not important since I will be mostly plugged in or connected

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Either way is ok for me

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Non is preferred since I have my own Win10 key available but I might say Windows with possibility to use Linux [Which means (Intel CPU + AMD GPU) or (AMD CPU+GPU).. since it have better support on Linux distros

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    Minimum 1080p - 60Hz at least

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Non of them important to me

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not at all

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    Not needed since I will take it from my own Laptop to the new ones

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Not in a hurry within 2~3 months... maybe more even...

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    Long term use [3~5 years]

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    1 week at maximum

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Nope... usually I will break warranty on day 1 since I mod BIOS through SPI :D can't stand anything called [Stock]

Thank you! :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Most of them are not unlockable but Overpowered 15/17 were able to unlocked in Win-raid threads using Aptio 5. All options were locked.
    Maybe Ahmed Karam can help you in narrowing down best stores in KSA. I'd prefer going Prema BIOS if you're going Clevo.
    Most Thinkpads are expensive and will cross 1000$ maybe 1300$ with AMD/Nvidia GPU. Most gaming laptops aren't durable for long term 5yr plus.
    I can suggest Legion y540 https://www.amazon.ae/Lenovo-15-6-I...on+y540&qid=1563620960&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr1
    y540 with 9th gen BGA is expensive at 6k SA.
    1050Ti should be more powerful than 965M and it is almost 5% faster than Stock 980M BGA BIOS.

Dr. AMK and 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 like this.
  3. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for your amazing suggestions :) Currently seeking if anyone have any different ideas... although I find your post quite convincing & enough for me :)

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Dr. AMK likes this.
  5. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    Very difficult to find something powerful enough to deal with Auto cad at the $1000 rang, the Lenovo LEGION Y530 is a good choice within your budget.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Yeah if it was 1500-1800$ then Thinkpad P52 would be better choice even with P2000M. 3-4 yr of SW and firmware support and reliability w/ great out of the box Linux support as well.
    My cousin actually uses Autocad, Lumion etc.. on 1050 ti and he says its slow and after some tweaks, drivers and repaste/repad it runs faster. Quadro will be 10-15% faster for ISV SW than games.

Dr. AMK likes this.