Advanced LG Gram 2021 tweaking

Discussion in 'LG' started by slavisv, Jul 3, 2021.

1. extremecarver

extremecarver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes - the cooling is different - as the fan must spin much faster - seeing the volume it produces, maybe also larger. Would be nice if A-Data can produce that package also at 16 or 17" - and put a bigger battery - then there would be a good competition. Sounds like speakers and keyboard are worse, power consumption very similar - but the battery simply is smaller. Then performance is definitely higher and cooling better.

The display glossy, but with some layer - so maybe maybe maybe LG can do the same on the next models... Anyhow with the new generation of big.LITTLE it will get much more interesting regarding battery life.

2. jkim220

jkim220 Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone have the download file for lg control center? I’m unable to find it on their site.

3. slavisv

slavisv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  4. jkim220

jkim220 Newbie

Reputations:
    I must be blind because I don’t see a download for control center. Am I supposed to install the update center and will that install the control center?

5. slavisv

slavisv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry, yes. That's the only way. I can select what you want to install and disable automatic updates, but the only way to get any software for laptop, control center, BIOS update, etc is through LG Update.

6. extremecarver

extremecarver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    btw - to add it here too. With the newest throttlestop beta you can remove the 25w limit (or on your gram the 20w limit). It's the MMIO value that was not shown/usable before. You still have to set PL1/PL2 in advanced bios to high enough values though - as they are locked (or I think I remember there was some way around without bios too).

7. RS4

RS4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @slavisv
    Can anyone create a program/app to switch off the screen? My old laptop had a "Screen off" button which is missing in the Gram and also none of the older programs floating on the internet work properly with Windows 10, they just put the laptop to sleep.

The screen off functionality is still available in Windows 10, we can observe this when the power option "Do nothing when i close the lid" is selected and the screen just turns off when we close the lid without putting the laptop to sleep.

So, Hopefully we can get an app and then select a shortcut button like Fn+F1 to turn off the screen whenever needed.

8. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/doff/

9. RS4

RS4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is putting my Gram 16 2021 to sleep just like all other such apps. is it working for you? Any special configurations settings or just double clicking the app works for you?

@extremecarver Can you test this in your Gram 2021? Why are all such apps putting the laptop to sleep instead of just turning off the screen?

10. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I only tried it on my desktop, it seemed like it just turned off the monitor as it didn't ask me to login when I hit space.. but maybe I'm wrong!

You would think since it's possible in the power options you can have just the display go into power saving that it would be possible to just force that scenario manually, but I guess not.

Perhaps make sure you have the power options set to NEVER put the device to sleep, only put the display into power saving, it might just be forcing whatever the current plan is set to?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021