Advanced LG Gram 2021 tweaking

Discussion in 'LG' started by slavisv, Jul 3, 2021.

1. slavisv

slavisv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    About C10 in performance mode, I don't have any problem with it. Changing power modes doesn't seem to affect C10. What does seem to affect is having certain programs running, or even config of the program:
    * If cinebench is running, won't enter C10, even if minimized
    * If slack is running and visible, won't enter C10. If minimize slack or move to another virtual desktop, enters C10 fine
    * If telegram opengl acceleration is running, won't enter C10, even if window isn't visible.

In relationship to power consumption, I can see C10 giving some power advantage, but not as much as parking 2 out of 4 cores. I tried to park 3 cores, but computer just becomes too sluggish. I suggest you look into that if you haven't done that, as parking seems to mostly turn off the core and automatically turns it back on when needed. The downside is that it takes a while to turn it back on, so if there's spike of load PC will be slower until the core is un-parked. You can configure in power options how quickly to park or unpark, etc. It's in hidden options for windows power options.

2. slavisv

Reputations:
    On using thermalpad to connect heatpipe to the back plate. From all benchmarking it seems that it helps more with initial thermal capacity, so turbo lasts longer before thermal throttling kicks in. It probably helps with heat dicipation, but probably not that much since there's no air blowing at the back plate. I suspect with laptop fan pad it'll give much more thermal headroom, but only for 2 minutes or so until power throttling kicks in, so not sure it's really worth getting such fan pad.

3. slavisv

Reputations:
    I just tried ThrottleStop TS bench again and in performance mode performance is better:
    * Thermal throttling is settled around 25 W
    * Around 28 W it jumped back and forth between thermal and PL1 power throttling, so I guess power throttling is at 28W
    * 20W throttling kicked in only after around 4.5 minutes
    * After a minute power limit went up to 23 W and higher as thermal throttling started to kick in again around 24-25W
    * Only after around 6 minutes that 20W thermal throttling kicked in
    * Up to 6 minute mark Limits window in throttle stop is showing PL1 red only for CORE, if it's power throttling
    * After 6 minute mark PL1 red lighted up for CORE, GPU and RING. That's when got hard 18-20W limit and frequency settled at 2.8 GHz
    * Around 7.5-8 minutes 20W power throttling was lifted and frequency went up again until started to hit thermal throttling again.

So it seems throttling fluctuates back and forth. TS Bench loads CPU pretty well.

4. extremecarver

extremecarver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    well for me the TS bench at 27 degrees aircon never went below 22 watts or 3000mhz on performance mode. Just ran it for 15 minutes. Kinda settled on 3050 and 22.5-23 watts. PL1 kicked in at 1 minute mark or so - went off again ( I cleared it so I can see if it comes on again) and was never seen again. 27 degree room temp I simply cannot cool more.

At 15 minutes ran your tool to set silent mode - kinda settled at 2750-2800mhz and 19-19.5w

For my gram 16 clearly its set to 25w not 20w like yours. This fan is really not very effective. I think most of the heat is transferred away via the case. Otherwise cannot explain that tiny difference from silent to performance... Optimal is somewhere in the middle. So your thermal pad doesn't change too much - because the case is anyhow used already. The lg gram 17 obviously having the bigger case can get a tiny bit more heat build up, bigger area to heat up. A bigger heatpipe would be the main thing to speed my laptop up at high ambient temps. At 22 degrees anyhow its the PL1 25w limit that I cannot cross. I kinda feel in passive move my gram could still cool 15w at 27 degrees room temperature. At silent mode the fan is anyhow dead slow already. at 20 degrees room temperature likely without fan attached 20w.. (yeah that Arctic MX5 clearly helping here - but same as your thermal pad - mostly helps for short burst - long time the important thing is the case temperature vs ambient temperature. That is also why 20 vs 27 room temperaure makes a way higher difference than anything else.) Putting some more heatpipes leading nowhere where space permits would also help...

That is also why I am sure removing that sheet covering the holes would help. However for me in real life - it would be even worse as my main problem is the laptop running too hot on my lap at 30 degrees room temp that I often have (that's okay if there is constant wind - in the evening when the thermal wind is gone, I need to go for aircon, same in the morning).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  5. slavisv

Reputations:
    Is that gram 16 with i5, not i7? And yeah, sounds like your system has better heat dissipation.

With pads, the backplate gets extremely hot. If you touch it for more than half a second you'll get burned.

6. extremecarver

Reputations:
    yes - i5-1135g7, I first had a broken one with i7 (panel flashed all the time with panel self refresh activated) - returned it to amazon (I think there was a full batch of them - several people reported that problem in amazon.com reviews) - and got an i5 model from spanish market. However yeah the repaste helped a bit. And for 1 day I had the i5 and i7 side by side - the i5 faster in all multi core benchmarks, more or less same speed in single core benches (except a select few) - and much more efficient on battery life. Both identical software. But yeah if you need 32GB - seemingly there is only the i7 right now. The i7 makes no sense at all. If you need more power - need an i7H not i7U.
    Yes maybe on games the i7 is a tiny bit better - but then you would want an i7H anyhow... As intel gets very inefficient at higher speeds - 8core vs 4core is likely better anyhow for everything... But yeah Alder Lake will solve this for sure..

7. slavisv

Reputations:
    Yeah, I need best battery life with 32 GB and 17 inch. What I have right now seems to be pretty much the only option.

8. extremecarver

Reputations:
    BTW - the 80% option for battery in the bios is not working inside windows (just like some other options as we know). Maybe works for linux?

9. slavisv

Reputations:
    Just to share more findings:
    * Slack actually has no effect anymore on C10. It can be opened or not, doesn't matter. Not sure why it did in the past
    * Sometimes cores stop parking after waking up. At that point only restart fixes it. I once switched to power options scheme that had PCI express at no power saving and parking started to happen again. However, that blocks C10 until restart. In other cases that scheme wouldn't bring parking back. Not really sure what's going on.

10. slavisv

Reputations: