Advanced LG Gram 2021 tweaking

Discussion in 'LG' started by slavisv, Jul 3, 2021.

1. extremecarver

extremecarver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That review was for a laptop where cooling is very good, if cooling is also a bottleneck, like on the gram, then the i7 is even worse, as it produces more heat at the short very high speeds. Especially single core on the gram the i7 cannot go faster than 4500mhz anyhow, but when it does it will produce a lot more heat...
    Plus speed increases per watt get lower. Essentially above 3000mhz any increase costs a lot of power. Over 4000mhz it's getting really bad. Lots of power for little more speed. So the 4.7 Vs 4.2 in the gram cooling make no sense. It's only 2-3 seconds before it has to decrease to 4500...

20w pumped into a single core cannot be cooled on the gram. I always speak about multi core cooling CPU only capacity. If all cores and GPU are running, the area getting hot is bigger and the cooling can move away much more heat. If only single core CPU it's much less.

2. slavisv

slavisv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Discovered some more things affecting C10:

* When slack is running. When window is opened, CPU won't go into C10, only C8. As soon as I minimize Slack, it jumps into C10. I tried to disable hardware acceleration, but with no effect, not sure what they're doing.
    * After waking up Intel Graphics Commander wouldn't let CPU go into C10. I tried to go into settings, but for hardware it would just blank window. As soon as I uninstalled it, C10 became available the same second again. Not sure if there's any benefit to have it installed and using it, but for sure it can make things worse.

3. extremecarver

Reputations:
    Yeah, on booting panel self refresh is always enabled, but less aggressively. So I think it saves some more power

4. slavisv

Reputations:
    Well, actually Intel Graphics Command Center is needed. If it's uninstalled and PC is rebooted, it CPU won't enter any power saving at all, including C8.

After reboot it's installed automatically, but not until it is manually started would C8 and up become available to CPU again. Took me a while to figure out why all of a sudden I was loosing C8.

5. Maikel

Maikel Newbie

Reputations:
    I am new here with my new LG gram (17Z90N-V.AA77G with Windows10) and this is just what I was looking for, to make the silent mode permanent.
    It also works on my "old" model. Thank you very much for this app.

6. Maikel

Maikel Newbie

Reputations:
    This would also be my favourite solution.
    I successfully used nbfc (Notebook Fancontrol) with other notebooks.

In thread http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/new-lg-gram-17.827017/page-7#post-10889881 it seems that user Pflugshaupt made a working config file for it.
    But with my LG gram the nbfcservice keeps stopping and starting again about once a second.

7. skipper63

skipper63 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Again I wanted to thank you for your app, it is a super time saver. I don't need the task scheduler since I need only from time to time the performance mode, but the LG Control Center is a pain in the neck to switch modes.
    Also thank you for the Advanced Bios Settings, I was looking for it everywhere, not the same as the previous generations.

8. slavisv

Reputations:
    About PL1 limit. It seems to me that it's driven by Base Frequency. After Power Limit kicks in, it changes between 18W and 22W, but frequency stays at 2.8 GHz, which is base frequency for I7-1165G7. So, it might be just the limit either in CPU itself or EC.

I think LG Control Center changes things by emitting bytes directly into hardware. I think performance, optimal and power save are on the EC level.

9. extremecarver

Reputations:
    Does performance mode for you work without disabling C10?

Could you try cinebench r20 and look at throttling? What wattage do you get there on the second or third straight run.

10. slavisv

Reputations:
    When PL1 kicks in (around middle of 2nd run), package W is at 20W and CPU is at 2.8 GHz, but this is with clamp off. After a little while it can go up to 23W and then might lower back to 20W. I'm guessing this has to do with power buffer and how it replenishes if not running at turbo (above 2.8?) speed.

In optimal mode with clamp on, after PL1 kicks in, at first it's 20W and 2.8 GHz, but over time it goes down to around 12W and 2.2 GHz, and then I think settles around 10W. I'm really not sure what Clamp does and I don't understand the purpose of limiting CPU so heavily over long term of heavy usage. This is default behavior out of the box.

If we look at i7-1165g7 specs (https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-12m-cache-up-to-4-70-ghz/specifications.html), TDP-up frequency is 2.8 GHz. TDP-up is 28W, but on intel website that W is "Configurable TDP-up is the average power, in watts, that the processor dissipates when operating at the Configurable TDP-up frequency under an Intel-defined, high-complexity workload." I'm reading this that at 2.8 GHz package power won't exceed 28 W, but can certainly be less, as long as CPU is maintaining 2.8 GHz.

I'm guessing that manufacturer can select maximum TDP and based on that maximum base frequency would be set. When you change to different power plans and have HWInfo running, you'll see right after you change that for performance it's 28W, for optimal 25W, for silent 12W. However, as I mentioned above if you turn off clamp for PL1 (it is enabled by default in ThrottleStop), then regardless of what plan you choose system will work at 28W package which for me is 2.8 GHz and around 20W constant consumption. It seems at this point only fan profile will change (I'm suspecting in EC).

Of course, this is all with Adaptix enabled with it's power buffering algorithms.
    Some reviews of adaptix: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16084/intel-tiger-lake-review-deep-dive-core-11th-gen/6 and https://www.techspot.com/review/1932-intel-core-i5-10210u/

Side note, in bios it can show fan speed, so there must be a way to at least read it.