Adding vapor chamber to a heatsink

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Rei Fukai, Jan 4, 2019.

?

Would you prefer bespoke vapor chamber design, or a hybrid (dual vapor chamber with heatpipes)

Poll closed Jan 11, 2019.
  1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. i'd rather modify my current heatsink to add a vapor chamber

50.0%
  4. Undervolting and downclocking is enough for me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yes, but i wouldn't solder it on to the existing coldplate. I would replace the coldplate with a vapor chamber
    Well the problem is, they aint. maybe for the four core's it's enough but for the six core's it aint't enough. If i'm playing for example star citizen, that game alone generates 70/80 watts of heat on the cpu. Than you have a GPU that tends to pull 180+ instead of the 180 Max wattage, so if you don't take some extra cooling in consideration (for the 6 core's not 4) they will run hot. OC'ing is out of question. my 7820HK COULD pull up to 65 watts when gaming, but now with two extra cores those two will also generate heat. i don't know @ which setting you play but i play uncapped (120Hz G-sync screen so i don't have a frame target) and @1440p so my gpu always tend to run hot. That "Vapor Chamber" is also just a polished cpu coldplate, nothing else. I ordered an R5 heatsink for my R4 but when my R4 broke down, i got moved to an equally specced R5. i destroyed to see how much of an vapor chamber it was and voila AW his marketing makes a polished coldplate, a vapour chamber. I have some pictures of star citizen with 80Watts on the cpu and 180 on the gpu. All i see is thermal throttle flags on my cpu when i let it run loose. But i do agree that the heatsink is more than enough for the R4. The r4 heatsink itself, or the R5 heatsink.

2. Slam2Fast

Slam2Fast Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. VoodooBane

VoodooBane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I know digikey offers custom vapor chambers with help on designing. not sure how much is cost though $$$$$$ it could be nothing but maybe work trying?

Rei Fukai likes this.
  4. devilhunter

devilhunter Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Actually a similar solution to this might do the trick better than the chamber