Adding Aftermarket Internal GPS to the CF-29

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by onirakkiss, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    Ummm, I install XP with factory restore. Run it a while until SP-2 or 3 is up. Then I use Ubuntu from a usb stick and let it install. Ubuntu takes care of the partitioning itself. Ubuntu handles the partitioning and the only thing that may gripe you is Ubuntu is the first OS in the boot menu.

Jeff

2. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    This is a little update on what is going on at NBR. There is a contest and the Toughbook forum is in second and we need your vote so please log on and vote for us.
    Laptop Forums and Notebook Computer Discussion - Announcements in Forum : Panasonic

Click below to vote...it's that easy
    You must be a registered member of NotebookReview to vote, so click here to do so!

3. fest777

fest777 Newbie

Reputations:
    can some one help me with pinout on cn18 and maybe pinout on port rep. cable .iam new to forum and in the prosecc of installing gps on 2 cf-29's 1 mk1 1 mk2, the only #'s i have is on the mk1 cf-29drkgzkm, the mk3 has 1.4 cpu and 1.5 gb ram got all cables will show pic's if i get this installed, also on the gps engine do i need ttl not 232 data ,they are different arent they my 1st sled is 232 but i bought a small 232 to ttl converter chip any real schematic's with good pinout's would be wonderfull , mt second engine will be ttl for sure seller's lied. thanks for any help ohlip and t.b., onrikkiss are the master's of this site thak's tony my email is tonytonystrk@msn.com any pfd or jpeg

4. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Newbie

Reputations:
    How about a little help here. I have a CF-29 H/J(mk3). After market (I think) internal SiRFStarIII. Everything was working fine until I contracted a vicious "ransonware." My tech had to reformat computer to and now I cannot find my GPS. Nothing in device mgr. Any thoughts?

5. fest777

fest777 Newbie

Reputations:
    did you get all the proper diver's installed !, the driver's on the panasonic site are not that good, i had the same problem, hard drive crashed reloaded opp sys. and touch screen never worked again. there are some drivers listed on ebay for about $7.00 they worked great but i seem to have misplaced them, that cd got all my programs working.

6. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    The GPS is not listed in Device Manager... Who was the seller of the laptop? What ebayer sold it to you? If it isn't OEM it could be any number of things. If it is installed correctly it should work even without the other regular drivers installed!

Let me correct that... You should go into setup (F2 at boot) and turn off the GPS. Then download the GPS Patch from Panasonic's site. Install it, reboot and go back into setups and turn your GPS on, save and let it continue rebooting.

If your GPS is installed correctly it should be found on COM 3 and should work. If it doesn't... whomever sold it didn't (or may not have) installed it correctly.

ALWAYS download your drivers straight from Panasonic's website. There are several around and some can only be found on certain sites. (Canadian, USA, Japanese, etc.) If I catch you PAYING for drivers on ebay or anywhere else I will drive by your house and shoot out your porch light with a slingshot! DO NOT BUY YOUR DRIVERS! That is for people who admit to the world they haven't a clue about Toughbooks. If they don't have the time to read how to do it or ask the right questions... I don't have the time to help them

Spend some time reading here about how Toughbooks work as well as how to mod them and ask intelligent questions and you will find a whole host of people who are more than willing to bend over backwards to help you out! We are a close-knit community that will send free parts to each other just to help out a fellow fanatic. Just be willing to respond in kind.

If you have other questions about your Toughbook... Post them in a new thread in the general Toughbook forum. If you read certain posts and they intrigue you or you need clarification... Just PM the person that posted them... I think you'll find your answer in a few hours.

7. pdnakita

pdnakita Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm thinking of removing my sled and selling it and installing one of these. what would be the VCC and this gps and what would be the enable/disable on this gps? the gps is easy label but i'm a little stupid lol

gps.jpg

8. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Keep it simple.
    Get a Ublox gps from ebay. They come with an antenna, cost $15.00, and only need a usb port. (4 wires)
    Do some research on the forum here to find out how to use an internal usb port.

Ublox Neo 6M GPS Module Aircraft Flight Controller for Arduino MWC IMU APM2 TR | eBay

OR...if you are not really skilled with electronics, buy the plug and play kit for a cf29. It's easier to spend the money rather than replace the laptop after the soldering disasters....

9. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Very well put Rick, also found a good place to put it :thumbsup: http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/356620-toughbook-drivers-manuals-sources.html#post9352741

10. pdnakita

pdnakita Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i might just have to get lazy someday and just send my sled to someone and have them mod my sled lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.