Adding Aftermarket Internal GPS to the CF-29

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by onirakkiss, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pele

Pele Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I was originally looking at these, but figured that with the antenna in the palmrest, it wouldn't work too well.

How can you tell if your CF-29 was wireless ready or if I'll have to order new coax?

Does anyone know if these boards are still being produced?

Can we still get cables Antenna covers for the upper corners of the screen ordered from Heartland or are the parts discontinued? I know the CF-29 is kinda old.

Also, are the internal USB ports USB 2.0 or 1.1 like the externally accessible one?

2. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    Filling in a few details.
    I have two CF-29 Marks with SIRF III (em-408) installed. They are recognized by either XPPro and Ubuntu. The problem is they won't talk to the program of my choice.
    I have a CF-29 E model with the sled and factory GPS and that works fine with my program.
    Bull-headed as I am I like what I like and I like USAPhotomaps. Particularly the 7 1/2 min USGS topos.
    What am I missing in the set-up of the em-408?
    Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Jeff

3. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You need to know what com port the em-408 is using
    When you know the com port , go to the GPS tab in the software
    Select the com port number , then select the baud rate (4800) , all the other settings should be fine

4. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    Thank you. I did this over and over for months. Then the solution appeared.
    1. Put pride aside.
    2..Post question.
    3. BINGO It works.:D Some magical electrically actuated feline thing.

Actually I think this is the first time I tried it since I did a Pana restore. This was on a Mark 4. When my Mark 3 disks get here I will confirm.

Thanks TC.

Jeff

5. Razordsm

Razordsm Newbie

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Would there be info available as to how you got that Sarantel GeoHelix in there? Oh and hi I'm new to the fourm, but have been reading up for a few weeks now and just baught a CF-29ENKGRKM :D Just starting to load to XP up now.

6. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thats an active patch GPS antenna , not a sarantel
    The Sarantel needs to stick out to work

7. Razordsm

Razordsm Newbie

Reputations:
    JDGA Ceramic Patch SMT GPS Antennas Frequencies from 1575Mhz - 1598MHz

One of Jim Grey's from the bottom of the list? 10x10?

I plan using an ET-312 Sirf III Reciever, I've checked over the specs of each
    and other than its smaller and surface mount , I can't seem to find any differences from the EM-408, Correct me if I'm failing so far please :p

I'd like to get as much info as i can in before I place an order, and I'd rather not tear her apart untill I have the hardware to work with.

Joe-

8. Bowlieweekender

Bowlieweekender Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi here, also Beaverton Oregon, small world.

I just got my first Toughbook last week, a CF-29. I've installed a new 7200 100Gb drive, given it XP and Partition Magic'd it to two partitions, one is for XP and the other will be for Ubuntu.

The question is, how do I install a boot manager that will work with NTFS? Nothing seems to work with NTFS. So I'm stumped and would appreciate some direction.

Cheers Nigel

9. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Welcome to the NBR panasonic forum :D . Try this search install a boot manager that will work with NTFS - Google Search Jeff is the Ubuntu guy on this forum

http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/241106-cf-29-f-q-read-me-before-posting.html

10. TopCop1988

TopCop1988 Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    Different File Systems on the same disk
    If you are migrating from Windows and have more than one NTFS partition on the same disk, you might be tempted to convert one of the partitions to ext3 or 4 and install there the Linux files while leaving the NTFS partition as /home (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving).
    Avoid this! It's ok to have two partitions on for Linux system files and another for home files in the same disk, but they should be both the same file system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.