Adding Aftermarket Internal GPS to the CF-29

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by onirakkiss, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    The center driven element on some GPS antennas should not touch anything... Which is why you see the OEM GPS antenna (And others) with a special thick ring around the center driven element. Others may not need that.

As far as the "ground plane".... In my setup, it is more of a reflector dish. It helps (in my setup at least) but may not be necessary in all cases.

2. capt.dogfish

capt.dogfish The Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    @ Green X5,
    From what I have been able to gather, there have been a lot of problems with the mstar chipset. When you first posted I did some research and found that there is a quite active US GlobalSat forum. They have apparently been through a long string of firmware updates trying to get the ND-100 to work. I probably didn't retain as much information as I should have, but there seem to have been European and US versions of the unit. If any one here is thinking of trying this hack I would strongly recommend doing some reading and am guessing that the ND-100s, with the Sirf III chipset would be the one to start with, they are the same price. More rep to you Green, this is a slick hack and might be very useful if the ND-100s performs as well as other Sirf III units.
    CAP

3. Green_X5

Green_X5 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It works! This works very well. Without the copper sheet and nothing else to improve performance. Quick start and a great reception in every room of my house.
    I would recommend to use the ND-100 now. But it does require special installations. Please wait for my photo report. Notebook need some thing for the exterior...
    And now I want to sleep. I did hug my laptop last two nights ... )))

4. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    Congratulation for job well done and I hope that module is powerful than on this module. It has a sirfIII chipset but I am still not convince how powerful it is. There is no way the best the one with an antena installed at the top of LCD. This module was manufac.. by San Nav. I've tried it before but I can not offer this mod to my buyer coz as I said I am not fully convince of its perofrmance.

ohlip

Attached Files:

5. Green_X5

Reputations:
    Well I can not compare these two chipsets because I do not have the usb receiver SiRFIII inside. But I have the retail PCMCIA with receiver SiRFIII inside. This is very bad working inside the building, although the unit antenna is located outside the laptop. So I can assume that the power of the same chipset. Or nearby.
    If you do install my nd-100 as I have laid out in the this thread - it does not work indoors. And do not even always work well on the street. So I went on.
    I tested the reduction of power supply to the usb power connector. This 5,04 V and 0,5-0,6 A. This means that the power reduction on the cable is not. But the receiver does not work indoors unless it is inside the lid.
    I saw a strange thing - if there is a small gap between the lid and the body of the laptop, then the signal is increased by 2 times! It was always and I do not know how to win or to use it ...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I was sure before, that the important thing here is the top plane of the antenna. And I made a hole in the lid. But the result was no ...
    [​IMG]
    Then I was going to raise the antenna up of the lid. I made a full size hole in the lid and the dog stuck her nose out of the booth. ) The result was magnificent! It's like "yes" or "no."
    [​IMG]
    The top point of the receiver on 0,1 inch above the lid.
    I understand that this decision is not elegant. But I have an idea of how it is sealed and improve the exterior, as well as to protect the antenna from damage.

6. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Looks like you are on the right track to better performance
    You are recieving good advice by two of the most experianced on the forum

My view of antenna placement is that it is always better on the lid
    The problem is the time required to mod, and providing protection so the antenna is not damaged under normal use

I prefer the sirflll chipset module with an external active antenna
    The benifit of the external antenna is in the overall size

Your combination unit might be hard to build in

Alex

7. Green_X5

Reputations:
    I agree with you, trial to install the receiver nd-100 just inside the lid failed ...

8. Green_X5

Reputations:
    Toughbook, I do not understand about this thick ring. Can you give an example of a photo? Thank you!

Edit: I can delete the question. I see a recommendation not to approach any objects closer to 0.5 to 1 cm close to the antenna ...

9. Green_X5

Reputations:
    What of the antennas (model) can be the most powerful performance in your opinion? If you do not look at the size ...

10. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    I wanted to post this here as well as the main forum. I found these while searching the net. They would make an internal USB mod a lot easier. Mouser also sells them. $10 plus shipping.

FFC board 40 pin .50mm pitch

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.