Adding Aftermarket Internal GPS to the CF-29

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by onirakkiss, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    Some antennas don't like to touch anything. Do you have heavy tape to make a doughnut to circle the antenna? Neat installation. Send pictures when you have it working please.

Jeff

2. capt.dogfish

capt.dogfish The Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    Very slick, I'm looking forward to a performance report. Did you chose the ND-100 over the ND-100s for a reason, perhaps because you are in Europe? I haven't heard the best of reports on the mstar chipset which is in the ND-100, but the ND-100s has my favorite Sirf lll chipset. Rep to you, sometimes the simplest solution is also the best.
    CAP

3. Green_X5

Green_X5 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ohlip ,
    thanks again! Please tell me if in this case I plug pin 40 on the ground, then the BIOS will see my gps receiver?
    I will not connect usb hub for contacts CN18 because they did not want to interfere with the function of gps. I'll think how to fork available external slot usb. Or there are other options for solving the problem?

Gork!,
    I do not have a special heavy tape. For what it is? Risk of failure of the device from static electricity from my fingers?
    I checked it now works in the clear when I connect the receiver to the external usb slot. Blinking blue light, a navigation program sees the receiver. But I'll be careful now, thanks.

capt.dogfish,
    Thank you! Of course, I'll post a report when I have it completely.
    ND-100 is a production GLOBALSAT for US market, I bought it on ebay, because it was cheap - $ 30 including postage. For Europe this is the GT-100, and in Russia costs $ 80 excluding shipping. :eek2:
    http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-650-81-nd-100.aspx or http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-590-nd-100s.aspx
    the same product
    http://www.globalsat.ru/catalog/razdely_kataloga/gps_priemniki/134.html

When I choose a product I did not know the difference between 100 and 100s. But now I see that my 100th has 48 channels to 20 in the 100s. I tested my ND-100 in a room near the window (3 feet), it was a good reception!

4. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    As I said. there is no need to use or plugin the pin 40 to ground. It will the same connection when you plugin the usb gps receiver externally.

Good Luck.

ohlip

5. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    I am sorry I don't know the reason exactly. Rick (Toughbook) I think said it in a post and I read it somewhere else. Maybe the Sirf web site.
    But static electricity could be the answer.
    No special tape is required. You can layer two or three pieces of Kapton tape or electrical tape together and the little ring you make goes around the antenna part. So none of the tip of the antenna can touch anything.
    I hope I am clear and it may not matter with this antenna.:)

6. Green_X5

Reputations:
    Bingo! I did it ...

Cut Flex Ribbon Cable AWM 20624, make usb socket. Use the wire from the IDE cable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

testing ...

[​IMG]

installation of the power switch
    [​IMG]

mark for future openings ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

drill, paint a hole ...
    [​IMG]

drill a hole for the power cable ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For fixed switch there is only 1 minute! "Abro steel" ...
    [​IMG]

cover medical needles - our future indicator window of the receiver. cut to size ...
    [​IMG]

drill a hole for the indicator. If you choose the right size drill bit, then it's water resistance.
    [​IMG]

installation ... Finish!
    [​IMG]

Our indicator is activated or blinks or is not active when it should be. And we see it.

Moderator, please correct my post for good English, if possible. Thank you!

7. Green_X5

Reputations:
    I do not want to recommend you to use the receiver ND-100 now. The result was worse than my expectations. When the receiver from the outside - a good reception in the building. When it is inside the laptop - the result is worse or no reception. Tomorrow I'll continue to experiment. May be guilty of chip ND-100 (it's worse than ND-100s) or absence of copper sheet, may be something else ... I'll wait for your ideas and help!

8. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Could you give us more detail on the switch ?

Alex

9. Green_X5

Reputations:
    Alex,
    Your question about the led indicator? It is built into the receiver manufacturer, I just put inside the glass for transmitted light.

About power switch:
    This is the switch from a broken laptop. This activated the wifi before. Here it breaks the wire +5 volts.
    Surely we can take any other switch. Size is important only...
    If it is not installed, gps will always work. Even when power is off.

10. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thanks for the clairification

( Rick) Toughbook tested stock location GPS antenna performance earlier in this thread and found that a copper sheet helps reception

That is your next step , as you must try to improve performance

Alex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.