Adding Aftermarket Internal GPS to the CF-29

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by onirakkiss, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RuffBook

RuffBook Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    We have topo 7 right now and a delorme pn-40 we use for geocaching. Should we wait and buy the internal setup or will we not see much of a difference and just go with the delorme gps since we have topo and the pn-40. I would rather wait if the internal gps would be better. If not then I would just get the delorme and be done with it. To get the gps, do you need Microsoft streets or will the topo from delorme work as well. Is there any other software besides Microsoft streets. Sorry for so many questions but if we want gps we want to get a good setup. Thanks for your help and we look forward to any and all responses. Have a blessed day/night. Anton & Snow

2. ROAD HAMMMER

ROAD HAMMMER Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ok this looks like the place to ask this out of the 2
    CF-29 GPS & bluetooth kit, 50 ch Ublox 5 -- DIY - $179.00 : Custom Toughbooks, -Aftermarket solutions for Panasonic Toughbooks
    and
    CF-29 GPS & bluetooth kit, 20 ch SiRF3 -- DIY - $149.00 : Custom Toughbooks, -Aftermarket solutions for Panasonic Toughbooks
    what is the best 1 i drive a truck and for the pass 2 weeks i have gone and order a lot of things for my cf-29 new hdd ext i hope once i get back to the house to go to my ups fedex dl shack that i have coded the door and find this thing and take 1 to 2 days is all i can give to do all this and i have no luck of finding a gps software that has truck routing that i can be happy with it

3. TopCop1988

TopCop1988 Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    Did you look at this one?

CoPilot Truck 11 and PC Miler Navigator GPS system

4. ROAD HAMMMER

Reputations:
    pcmiler is 1 of the worst out hear some are just giveing the thing a way for the fact that thay can not get some one to buy it is so bad i do not think that the laptop ver will be much more that what u can buy out hear on the road i have heard bad thing of it
    the last thing is if u get lost and next thing u know your gps sends u down a no truck road or a low clear and u get stuck

5. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Well... There IS a way... But it would cost him!

6. ROAD HAMMMER

Reputations:
    ya but last time i checked my cf-29 dont have bt so im knocking out 2 things i wont with only 1 bullet
    o and it is a tax write off

7. Green_X5

Green_X5 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, this is my first post on the forum! I use web translator, I hope that you will understand me! )))
    I bought the gps-receiver with usb-interface. It is very well built inside the laptop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today I received Ribbon Cable AWM 20624 150mm 12 pin (1,5$ from ebay) and going to connect it to the connector CN18.

Please help me - what pin CN18 I need to connect to any pin usb gps receiver?

[​IMG]

1. VIN -> pin 30,31,32(any of them)
    2. D- -> ???
    3. D+ -> ???
    4. GND -> pin 33,35,37 (any of them).

pin 29 is used here?

Thank you!

8. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    Your D- will be pin36 and your D+ will be pin34. Pin 29 will not be use.

ohlip

9. Green_X5

Green_X5 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ohlip, thank you for your response and all the information in this thread! :notworthy:
    Please do not throw tomatoes at me :eek:, two more questions:
    1. pin 40 on the ground in this case?
    2. organize one or two external usb ports using other pins CN18 - is this possible? If yes - what pins for this?
    Thank you!

10. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    There is no need to use the pin40 since you are using a USB gps module. Pin40 only use if you are using the serial port in order to show up the gps option on the bios. In your case you only need to install the cd containing the driver for usb to serial port. The gps option will not be display on bios when you are using usb gps. Its a straight forward installation.

There is only one usb available on CN18 of cf-29 unless you use a usb hub in order to have multiple usb.

ohlip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.