Adding Aftermarket Internal GPS to the CF-29

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by onirakkiss, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toughbook-CF-29HTM50

Toughbook-CF-29HTM50 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Awesome thanks for the info. Can't wait for everything to get here. I was one of the lucky ones to get an excellent condition SBC CF-29 that the touchscreen actually works.

2. lt1956

lt1956 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was thinking it might be an easy addon to add a Sarantel 1010021 Geohelix-S Active GPS Antenna to the Top left lid since I can use the existing cover there. Want improvement will I get for an OEM GPS on my CF-29?

Also would it be as easy as cutting the black wire leading to the GPS and antenna and soldering a new one to the new antenna I was even wonding if I can use the existing Cable that goes to the WWAN unit which I have replaced with an GPS only Sled?

Thanks

3. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    To use the Sarantel you will need to swap in the EM-408... I haven't heard of anyone ever using the Sarantel with the stock unit. I wouldn't try it...

4. lt1956

Reputations:
    Ok thanks,

Is there a better Attena than the OEM one for the stock GPS? just curious and some look the some but are active.

5. Toughbook

Reputations:
    If you are going with OEM... I would stay with that as they are tuned for each other. If you want to change anything... I'd scrap the whole OEM deal and go for the EM-408 and either the Sarantel or 27dBi active patch antenna.

6. lt1956

Reputations:
    Ok thanks, Good to know. The sarantel Antenna does look nice though. lol

7. Toughbook

Reputations:
    You should see it in a short dress, high heels and lipstick! :eek:

8. mnementh

mnementh Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

Reputations:
    Hey... I resemble that remark! Or at least I did last Halloween... And at the Edwards clan get togethers when I wear me kilt. ;)

mnem
    Whatchoo lookin' at? Ain't nuthin' but whut th' good lord gave me...

9. RuffBook

RuffBook Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    We are looking to add gps into our CF-29PTQLZBM. After reading on here it seems like the EM-408 internal and Sarantel antenna is the best combination. Am I correct? This computer does not have any gps yet at all. Is it easy to install? Are there instructions on how to do it? Where is the cheapest place to get everything (in store or online)? What Sarantel antenna is good? We know nothing about them. We are going on vacation this thursday and wanted to use the computer for gps, so any help at all would be greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing any and all responses. Thanks and have a blessed day/night. Anton & Snow

10. capt.dogfish

capt.dogfish The Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    If you want GPS for Thursday you better order a BU353 from GPS City this morning, or better yet, given all the time you have allowed, buy a copy of MS Streets and Trips with an included USB GPS TODAY! There is no way you are going to get a internal GPS into that machine in 4 days. If you will be spending time in the boonies get DeLorme Topo with their USB GPS. Probably all you'll ever need any way. Its going to take you a day or so to figure out the GPS.
    CAP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.