Adding Aftermarket Internal GPS to the CF-29

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by onirakkiss, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tough-2-go

tough-2-go Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It really doesn't matter how well you mount the Sarantel antenna, the problem is the antenna itself is very fragile and if any part of it sticks out it is eventually going to break it's just a matter of time. They do work quite well horizontally and vertically but in a toughbook they must stick out of the magnesium body or you will not get a reliable signal. The patch antenna mounted in a position like the CF-30 would be the best rugged solution.

2. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    You mean to say like this,

ohlip

Attached Files:

3. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    You obviously never mounted one in the correct way! They can be quite hardly on the WWAN position if mounted correctly. Teo and I have been doing it for years...

Perhaps you have been too busy to experiment!

4. tough-2-go

tough-2-go Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Like I said, it doesn't matter how well it is mounted the radome and ceramic cylinder will snap right off leaving the mounting intact. I am sure there is a reason why teo has gone to the setup he has posted above that is a great setup Teo well done.

5. herofish

herofish Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have to join in with some of the previous posters to say that this work seems a bit beyond my capabilities. Would any of you (like Toughbook or Ohlip) be willing to do this work on my CF-29? You can either feel free to pm me, or post here if you think others may be interested as well. I know that some of you actively sell modded units, but how about doing the work on forum members existing toughbooks?

6. Toughbook

Reputations:
    We canot PM you and you cannot PM us until you get your post count up a little. You CAN go into "User CP" and add your email address and check the box that says, let users email me. Don't worry about spammers... We keep them locked in a vault.

7. herofish

herofish Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    oops, sorry, I just checked the box to allow others to email me! Thanks!

8. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Hero... You have PM....

9. Toughbook-CF-29HTM50

Toughbook-CF-29HTM50 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    HI all I know this thread has been dead a while, but I am wondering where the tutorial of adding this aftermarket gps to a cf-29 is, is this considered the tutorial? There are a lot of pics missing that could help me out on deciding what setup to go with and if this is within my capabilities. I was reading ohlip's post on how he soldered into the flat ribbon cable and he referenced some pictures, but I could not find the pictures. Thanks all.

10. Toughbook-CF-29HTM50

Toughbook-CF-29HTM50 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have another question does anyone know if the em408 gps engine would be compatible with Fugawi Global Navigator?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.