Adding Aftermarket Internal GPS to the CF-28

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Modly... WOW... That was quick! I figured you'd get it next week. Glad youhave it... Now... Get us some GPS! ;)

So.... Com 7??? It was weird... There were times that Com1 and also Com6 & Com7 would show up in WinFast. (What I'm using to check to see if the GPS works) I don't think I even tried it because Com1 was the only one that had "Communications Port" labeled beside it. Would the GPS enable that beside a Com Port if it had been installed correctly?

I have a feeling we're going to make a breakthrough this weekend! heh heh heh

2. cadillac

cadillac Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ToughBook

Your right the Panasonic GPS driver dint work and when you uninstall them and reboot it goes through the found new hardware Wizard and wants a driver. The only one that it will accept is the touch pad driver or some other pointing device?

Modly
    Sorry to hear about the little incident with you beer I hope you didn’t spill much!:err:
    Just tried the scan and nothing detected but my hardware wizard is still very unhappy about not having a driver.
    It shows in the Bois as GPS (AUTO) I don’t know if I need to change this and was hoping some of you would have some suggestions..

Jim

3. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Caddy... Are you using the EM408? Also... Try to look for conflicts on Com Ports...

EDIT - Mine showed in BIOS also but didn't ask for driver.. You might try enabling all and chosing your own IRQs...

Can you post pics of your hook-up?

4. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    I guess try out that USB driver for the hell of it that I linked.

I've got no clue otherwise though because when I go through serial with my permanent mounted GPS in my cop car, it doesn't suggest a new device is there. I'll have to look into that.

5. cadillac

cadillac Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok this is the best I can do for a picture for now until my daughter comes home with her camera.
    Hope this helps.

Jim

6. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Cadillac... You are brilliant!!!!! I just added to your rep for that one! Pin one on your diagram is hooked up straight into pin 37 on the GPS... Now I see more clearly what you were talking about this whole time. DUH! I'll unhook the crap I have hooked up (Which is roughly similar to what you have) and give it a try! I just need to hang a few more X-Mas decorations for my wife and I'll get to work!

Awesome... Just awesome...

EDIT - Looks like I have been gargling... :)

7. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Did you add any resistors in there anywhere?

8. scared1

scared1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all, just wanted to introduce myself :GEEK: and say what a joy it's been keeping track of the wonderful job you all do keeping us updated with all the hacks, info, etc...
    I've been reading this forum for months and finally decided to join. I'm also currently customizing one of my cf28 so hopefully shortly after the holidays i'll have pix of the finish product.:cool:

9. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Scared1... Welcome to the forum! You picked the right place... This is definitely one mod crazy group! If it can be done... We'll get it done!

There are a ton of posts around here... Help yourself and feel free to post any questions. Just remember... The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask!

10. stan.distortion

stan.distortion Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just checked the pins, only basic voltages for now but have the switching figured out. 35, 36 and 37 all switch on the internal serial port. 35 and 36 give the wireless modem option and 37 for the gps. all of them are earthed to enable.
    All of them come in through the serial port, there may be options and switches on the MDM lines but the serial does all the communications. Looks like that RIM+SB300 board uses cn40 if it needs control as well as data lines.
    Both of the modem options switch on 3.3v to pins 13 (MDCOC_ON) and 15 (MDM_PWRON), these pins are 0v otherwise.
    Nothing extra shows up in the system for control software, may do something with drivers but the inputs on their own just enable the port.
    With everything coming through the serial port there will only be extra devices found as windows probes the port (usb and pcmcia say 'here I am, use me').
    The circuit for getting serial coms from a logic device (0>3.3 or 0>5v) is tricky, that's why the max232's are so popular. If you can tap into the tx and rx lines where they come out from the modem card (the pcmcia bit) it will do the same job as there will have to be a serial interface on that board for the card to work.

Incomplete pin info:

1 m-micin 0v
    2 gnd 0v
    3 phone3 0v
    4 gnd 0v
    5 va3 3.3v switched
    6 va3 3.3v switched
    7 vc3 3.3v always on
    8 vc3 3.3v always on
    9 gnd 0v
    10 gnd 0v
    11 susb 3.3v
    12 mdmsw 3.3v
    13 mdcoc-on 0v 3.3v with modem jumper
    14 vm1cut 16v kills unit. pull battery to reset
    15 mdm-pwron 0v 3.3v with modem jumper
    16 mdm-reset 0v
    17 mdmpw-ack 0v
    18 riwm 0v
    19 cfg-dcd1 4.4v no serial lines tested when port enabled
    20 cfg-dsa1 4.4v
    21 cfg-cts1 4.4v
    22 cfg-ri1 4.4v
    23 cfg-sin1 0v
    24 cfg-sout1 0v
    25 cfg-rts1 0v
    26 cfg-dtr1 0v
    27 cfg-sin2 0v
    28 cfg-sout2 0v
    29 bt-usb+ 0v
    30 bt-usb- 0v
    31 bt-reset 0v
    32 bt-dtch 0v
    33 bt-wkup 0v
    34 mdm-boot 0v
    35 mdmid0 3.3v modem+serial+pwr conf option. pull low
    36 mdmid1 3.3v modem+serial+pwr conf option. pull low
    37 gps-in 3.3v gps+serial option. pull low
    38 gnd 0v
    39 gnd 0v
    40 vc5 5v switched
    41 vc5 5v switched
    42 va5 5v always on
    43 va5 5v always on
    44 va5 5v always on
    45 va5 5v always on
    46 gnd 0v
    47 gnd 0v
    48 vm1 16v
    49 vm1 16v
    50 vm1 16v

Sorry about the length of the post. If anyone want anything tried on the pins let me know. I'll be hooking up something to the serial soon to give it a try.
    cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.