Adding Aftermarket Internal GPS to the CF-28

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    In playing around with the GPS attached to the option board I have found that the only way to get GPS to show up in the BIOS is to have both switches 1 & 4 turned on. Any other combinations and it doesn't appear in the BIOS. However... The wireless modem, ring resume and Power Sync with PC also show up. I'm not sure if any combination of turning them off and on will have any effect of the laptop noticing the GPS... That is what I am working on now.

EDIT - DUH... I was using switch 1 & 4... You only need switch 4 turned on to get just the GPS to show in the BIOS...

Back to testing!

2. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    When you flip any of the switches (except 3), it simply grounds the circuit. Switches 1 & 2 run through pins 35 & 36 on the connector. Switch #3 while off runs through pins 5 & 6, which are grounds. I'm working on where it runs while on.

My "decryption" of the CN-18.jpg diagram is that switches 1 & 2 are for the modem to be shown in the BIOS, depending on which you've got (one is probably for 802.11, the other is cell wireless, or so I'm assuming).

#3 is still a mystery though.

Edit; I've found #3 going through a few various jumpers on the bottom, but nothing going to the CN-18. I've noticed empty spots for a connector on the bottom (CN-103, CN-102) of the GPS card, which I'm curious about. Switch #3 might have something to do with that.

Pin #27 or #28 (Having trouble figuring out which) runs to pin #1 of the raised card on the GPS module. On the diagram, those pins are listed as CFC_SIN2, or CFC_SOUT2.

Edit again; Doing more pondering and looking, if we run an aftermarket board, here is my primary pinout ideas;
    Pin #27 - GPS Tx
    Pin #28 - GPS Rx
    Pin #37 - Ground through resistor
    Pin #38/39/46/47 (Use one or all, unsure yet) - GPS Ground

I did however fry my mule board (just a 600, no big deal), so I can't figure out which pins provide voltage, and I lost my old notes on the CN-18 connector.

3. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    so the smoke comes out of your garage? hehehe!!, Just fine, when i'm doin something like that, i always have an spare.Just in case.

4. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    Oh, this was my spare board, so I'm not worried. I've got my two fully assembled 28s intact with no harm, and another board (800) on the shelf.

I shorted something out though, and it went bye bye :D
    The arc was cool though.

5. stan.distortion

stan.distortion Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    On the yahoo group we have been trying to get some info on the dip switch. Nothing certain yet but switch 2 may turn on power to the wireless options and switch 3 divert it. Will have a poke at it later now I know they are all earth switching as I'm happier sticking wires in them :)
    Another thing found out from the modem datasheets was one of them is using standard modem serial communication but at 0 to 3.3 volts (or 5? it may also have been mentioned here, memory not the best) which by a happy coincidence is what is needed for the serial GPS units you have.
    It could be the board for the modem has a serial interface for +-12v but it was mentioned earlier that a card exists with both the rim and sb300 modules, if that's true then one of them has to use the MDM lines from cn18.
    Trouble is the MDM lines go into a programable chip so they could do any damn thing, a couple of them look like id lines so it may be locked up until it gets what it wants from them. Also, no idea how the card would show up in the system, could be it shows up as a 'serial port' with a modem on it. In that case it wouldn't be a real serial port but it should still be usable by the gps software.
    Will be back on later after poking at the pins, need to get it done as I'm also looking for a switchable power line in there.
    Have to go and look at laptops and drink beer now. Life is so hard sometimes... :)
    cheers

6. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Modly, I saved your notes in a Word Doc... Hope this is what you are looking for...

Some of the pinout I'm assuming based on a diagram on the 600MHz board, But here is what I've got (Pins are labeled 1 - 13, 1 being closest to the handle, 13 closest to the GPS connector).

Pin #4 is 3.3v (The one pin I can assure you is 100% correct)
    Pin #6 is Rx Data (Or pin #11, see note)
    Pin #9 is Tx Data
    Pin #13 is signal ground (Not sure if this will work as a voltage ground or not, it does not provide continuity to the motherboard ground... I'm looking into this part). If it does not provide a ground, we have a few options, including running a ground wire to a screw on the motherboard (Easy solution).

Rx Note; The RX pin may be mirrored (Tx should be right in either direction), but it does not indicate which is proper orrientation. Just incase, I provided both possible pins.

As for antennas and which module, I'm still at a loss for the best to use. I found a module by NavSync that I really like, but it is far too costly to use for our project. I think the GlobalSat and eTek modules are the best for the budget.

Sorry to hear you smoked the board. That is what I have been trying to avoid!

The multi unit pcb ought to be there in a few days!

7. cadillac

cadillac Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I finally got a chance to get back to my GPS project and I think it might be working but I can’t find any drivers for the GlobalSat EM-408 and my computer seems to want one.
    So I’m having the same problems that I was having with the stock module thinking it’s a mouse or some type of pointing device. I just replaced the original module with the EM-408 on the stock GPS board. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Jim

8. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Caddy.... It's been suggested that we don't need a driver for the EM408... I doubt that the stock Panny driver would work anyway.

9. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    Toughbook, I fried the board when I dropped my probes on it while sipping my beer. It was an honest mistake, but it happens ;)

Caddy, are you connecting to it via USB? If so, that might be the problem.
    If so, use this driver; http://www.usglobalsat.com/download/57/win_usb_driver_installer.exe

If you're going through serial, I don't see any drivers that exist for it (Because technically it shouldn't need them going through serial on any device). The panasonic GPS filter is to help decode, but GPS still won't register in your hardware devices with it installed.

Edit; also, when you do get it configured, set it to something like COM 7. When it's on COM 4 it'll have that issue that you're having, where it thinks it's a mouse.

Edit again; I just re-read your post, and you're using the new module on the original board, and not through USB.
    When you use this utility; http://www.usglobalsat.com/downloads/GPSinfo.zip , does it show up as having GPS in one of the COM ports?

10. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    Toughbook, the board just came, and I'm giving it a lookover and I notice it has 3 extra connectors. Fancy stuff. I'll start going over it in a moment to figure more things out.

Caddy, Wanna take a few pictures of how you wired yours in, and the error that it gives you (or whatever it is that suggests that you need a driver), and I'll see if I can think of any solution for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.