Adding Aftermarket Internal GPS to the CF-28

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doobi

Doobi ToughBook DeityInTraining

Reputations:
    Try this. Remove the GPS engine and leave disconnected overnight. Then hook it back up and check again. It may need to be reset.

Oh, and if you are using the daughterboard, did you try different dip switch settings?

2. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    The dip switch settings shown in the pic are correct for all RIM boards. Also I think the EM-408 has a gold cap to store settings for several days.

You can try a hardware reset with several of the GPS programs out there. I would also check the BIOS settings to make sure they are correct. Instead of AUTO... Try a different setting on ENABLE.

I cannot stress this enough... You need to make sure that the antenna is soldered on correctly. By correctly I mean that you need to have a hot enough iron to solder the leads... But not too hot where it will float the micro components off the mini PC Board on the reverse side.

But... You are not even getting data stream... So this means that one of your 5 connections are bad. Or you have a bad engine, bad ribbon cable or the BIOS is not set right. Maybe even something in the ribbon cable connector on the mobo. It should be easy enough to track down.

Oh... And also make sure you have some sort of insulation installed BEFORE you put the RIM board in place. The factory does this to make sure nothing on the back of the board shorts out against the cabinet.

3. Psych0Thrasher

Psych0Thrasher Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I will check all those things here in a bit, I brought a spare engine with me to work. I used one of the 28s with the wwan already in it so it had that black insulation sheet below the board already. I was gonna change over to a 28S today so I think i'll just keep the palmrest piece and stick the 1ghz board in there. Getting busy now that school is starting up with repairing graphing calculators and inspecting them... I swear I hate this time of year because in 1 week I see about 3,000 calculators move through my office. No that is not and exaggeration, it's more like an understatement

Anyone want some 600Mhz boards. or even a 800? I have loads of the 600 and 1 800 so far.

Dan

4. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Part Sales... You'd be surprised. Just like in the car biz... There ia an arse for every seat.... It's kind of the same...

5. Psych0Thrasher

Reputations:
    Nice I like that statement. I almost can't give my toughbooks away on ebay. Must be my low feedback score. School season should boost that for me :)

Dan

6. Psych0Thrasher

Reputations:
    Well I got it to work. I guess the engine was bad. put a new on the rimboard and check everything. Fired it up and I get data stream. Don't pick up any satellites because my office is a dead zone though. Time to cut and mount this bad boy. Anyone got any recommendations on RAM because the module I got won't show up in the BIOS at all. Kinda ticks me off but then that's life

Dan

7. firebuster

firebuster Newbie

Reputations:
    Silly question. Which way does the ribbon cable connect? Is there a way to test the RIM board before spending money on the GPS and antenna? Also, Thrash, do you have any pics of your antenna install? Did you attach it to the side opposite to the RIM antenna?

8. Toughbook

Reputations:
    I doubt very much if you could buy a bad RIM board... Unless someone deliberately messed with it. Buy from a reputable source where they know it will work.

As far as the antenna mount... You can mount it opposite of the RIM antenna (If so equipped) but I wouldn't. The RIM antenna mounting area provides for a much more secure location. Even if you hacked/modded the RIM antenna for wifi... I'd move the wifi antenna to another location before I mounted the RIM on the opposite side. Now that is my opinion... But I have mounted in both locations and have been doing this for years.

You will need a "Steel epoxy" and the mounting is quite tedious as if you get any epoxy in the wrong places... You fry your antenna... Or short it to ground. Not to say it can't be done... But go into it with an adventurous spirit... You have to have all the parts to see how it works. It's kind of hard to do over the Internet.

9. firebuster

firebuster Newbie

Reputations:
    Unfortunately I bought it off of Ebay and until the ribbon cable from Thrash arrives, I am stuck. But once that gets here and I get it hooked up, will the RIM board show up in the BIOS or in Windows or what?

Thanks for the antenna advice TB. I think I am going to go with the default antenna location.

10. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Well... The RIM board may show up as one of 3-4 things depending on how the dip switch settings are set. You need to make sure that it is set like the pic. Basically... Shorting pin 40 to ground (I think it is that pin) makes the GPS show up in the BIOS... But that doesn't give you GPS... It just tells the BIOS that there might be one. I would wait until you have the GPS engine soldered in place and then hook it up with the Ribbon cable. It is kind of self evident how it goes... If you look at the connector and then the cable end. I think the blue side is always visible on all ribbon cables. (Blue side up)

I am sure there are more pics around here somewhere...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.