Adding Aftermarket Internal GPS to the CF-28

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gravitar

gravitar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I like the concept.. maybe under the nameplate would be a good place to hide a flat wifi antenna?

2. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Copracer... Can you please adjust the size of your pics? They distort the page and make for long upload times for some people.

Thanks!

I just got back in and I'm pooped from driving from upstate NY... I'll work on this tomorrow.

Modly... I think I may have a spare board but the ribbon cable is TU... I also have a ton of resisitors. I can send some to you if you like... PM me your address and I'll ship everything out.

(This is a good reason to save all your old electronics... Scavaging!)

3. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Well... I tried hooking up everything and no go... When I have the time I'll go over what I did and you guys can comment on what you think.

4. cadillac

cadillac Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That’s a bummer Toughbook sorry to hear it didn’t work, I would still like to hear about it if you get time.

5. Toughbook

Reputations:
    I'm in the middle of building 3 different Toughbooks... When I get the chance I'll take pics and post what I have done so far. I know a few other things that I need to try.

One question though for those of you who may know... The stock Panasonic GPS required drivers to work correctly... Won't an aftermarket one?

6. gravitar

gravitar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is that why we had to change the port config. in device manager to make it work? is there a driver that corrects that?

7. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    Toughbook, my USB antennas only require drivers for the USB conversion so it becomes a COM port... so as far as I know, we won't need one.

However, Globalsat drivers should do the trick if all else fails. (For our setup anyways).

And you're in good company... We are both buried in projects. I've now got a computer to fix for somebody on top of my transmission (with an aux. overdrive transmission added), rebuilding a Ford 9" rear end, fabricating a 4-link rear suspension, and rear disc brakes. That's all on top of my toughbook ;)

8. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Sheesh... Thanks for reminding me... I have to squeeze in a desktop reformat somewhere along the line this week. For a friend... You know how that goes.

9. stan.distortion

stan.distortion Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ok, I should have read this thread before asking about the panasonic internal cards :)
    For the gps pin on cn18, it would make life more difficult trying to use it. Between cn18 and cn40 there are 2 standard serial ports connected internally in the same way as the serial plug on the back. No drivers should be needed as the gps signal is more or less just a stream of text kind of like the signal from a modem.
    Easiest would probably be to get an old serial cable and attach the gps unit to the port on the back to get everything set up, then hack an internal card to get the same connections but on one of the internal serial ports. At least that way the gps and the software are known to be working so there is only the connections to debug.
    I don't think I have any serial devices here, if I can dig up an old modem or something then I'll plug it into the internal port to be 100% sure it's not doing anything stupid.
    The irda does act stupid on my cf-28 but I'm fairly sure that's the board f@#$#d and not braindead hardware, never use it so not gone into it much.
    cheers

10. stan.distortion

stan.distortion Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Oops, I should RTFM before poking at the keyboard. That thing MAY work directly on the rx/tx lines of a serial port and with a 3.3v supply but it would be a lot better with a serial interface chip (max232) in between (serial is +-12v).
    The max232's are really easy to wire up and are only around 1$, there are other options to wire the gps up directly but it would be kind of hit and miss on the manufacturers specs to get them working.
    As it happens I need to pick up a max232 today for another project, if anyone is interested I can do a schematic to put a max232 on a bit of stripboard with connections for a standard serial port on one end and the gps unit on the other.
    cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.