Adding Aftermarket Internal GPS to the CF-28

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:

Yup! its only 30c just to reached the usb pin and the board is from desktop modem. Ok! i will make an schematic and i will send it to you maybe later.

2. gravitar

gravitar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't understand. what is the PCI modem for? Are you just using the modem as a platform to mount the rest of the circuitry on? I would think you could get a cheap piece of perfboard at radio shack for that

3. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    Yup! you can use that as aplatform for your circuitry but as you can see the pci mdem has a fine pitch both side of pcb the side to plug on to the pci socket. That fine pitch will be the one you are going to used to soldered the strip cable ribbon. You have to isolate the fine pitch to the board itself. I am using that as a bridge from flat cable ribbon then to your application.

4. denrosten

denrosten Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ohlip,

I am always interested in cheap solutions. can you give me the pin out for the usb? i don't find them in the posts.
    I guess a good old usb 1 hub will do the job.

Thanks

5. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    go to modly.net and you can find the service manual of cf-28 or just look for mod.. s post and you can see below the link to his server

6. stan.distortion

stan.distortion Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Why did I never click on modly's drivers link before? Cheers modly and happy new year to all.
    And has this site been down for a while or has France decided the internet should drive on the other side of the information superhighway?
    Oh well... 5v is available on cn18. And 3.3v. And 16. And 3.3 and 5 can be had permenantly on or on and off when the system is off or running, And lots of other stuff too. I think there is also a 1.5v line there somewhere.
    Still working on a machine to make a breakout board for this port but it looks like I may need a major re-think on the lead screws. If anyone needs one in a hurry then look for a supplier who can engrave 0.5mm pitch pcb's. I'll do a really basic schematic shortly so I can test this thing, I think 0.63mm will be the absolute limit but the schematic will still be usefull to get boards engraved.
    Modly may well have something much more usefull, I think I was supposed to find a single chip USB hub though. Time to finish the Chrismas spirit methinks :)
    cheers

7. cadillac

cadillac Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey Stan
    Try rack and pinion and drive from your servos with cog pulleys and ditch your lead screws. Unless you use ball screws they are unusable for what you are doing and a general PITA.
    This is the best place in the USA for what you are doing; let me know if you see something you want maybe I can help. http://www.sdp-si.com/

Jim

8. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    I'm getting slow progress done. I've got some holes in the board, but I'm trying to measure everything to make sure they'll fit on the first go. I've also taken out the 50 pin connector until we figure out what we're doing with that..

So not much is done, it's just a few resistors, a couple connectors, and a few holes.

I've been slacking alot though.

9. gravitar

gravitar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey modly how ya liking this weather? was that you I saw driving a hearse in a speedo :)

10. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    Hahaha, nooooo... I was the guy driving it nude. I'm not a speedo kind of man ;)

The weather is nice though... almost warm enough for me to rip the transmission out of the hearse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.