Adding Aftermarket Internal GPS to the CF-28

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
  2. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I just ordered two more Em408s from the site above. They are $20 cheaper than where I got mine... (Sparkfun)

3. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    We need to give it voltage, because it normally would have some entering in from the USB/Serial connection, and the resistor is to keep the voltage low (and stable). I'll have to find out the value of the resistor needed though.

Unfortunately, the great electronics store that was just around the corner.. went out of business (like all places in Michigan), so radioshack is my only bet. If I'm lucky, I've got a few spare resistors laying around from my MegaSquirt project, and maybe one will be right. I'll also have to pick up a new tip for my iron, because I accidentally knocked it off my bench and bad things happened to the tip...

4. gravitar

gravitar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is the EM-408 the best one to use? Looks like a good price and they're discounting it further for thanksgiving so I might give it a try.

5. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    They are the best bang for the buck. They are easy to wire (5 pins), have an external antenna connector (very few others do), and support 20 channels.

Only one other module I found anywhere had the antenna connector, and it cost more than twice as much as what I found them originally priced at (Roughly $130).

6. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    Since i have dificulty in acquiring Em 408 and the globalsat retailer here in canada only entertain for bulk of order of at least 100pcs. I am now decided to instal usb type gps receiver on CN(A). Hacked the unit and instal it as the same as a module. I don't know yet if this usb type gps receiver has a provision for external antena coz i don't have this type as of to date. From my understanding it has a patch antena builtin inside, right? if it will be the case most posible it has antena connector inside.

Don't you know guys that CN(A) also has a provision for USB, Thats right i reviewed the schematic and it is clearly specified on it. It is more cheaper and also easy to acquire with the exemption of the geo helix antena

So for me, all problem solved for internal gps. All i need to do now is to gather all the necessary hardware to complete the long lasting project.

7. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
  8. gravitar

gravitar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was curious so I went through the checkout process (but did not place the order yet).. something must be wrong with their checkout page.. They show zero shipping charges no matter what shipping method you choose.. even UPS red! Assuming there is free shipping one way or another, they're still quite a bit cheaper than star lite. Even if I could go there and pick it up in person (and judging by their terms & conditions, that is doubtful) it would still be a few $$ more.

So, if ohlip or any other canadians would like me to buy one for them from usglobalsat, let me know. I'll probably be placing an order in a few days. (no great hurry though, as it looks like this product is NOT covered by their 20% discount sale :(

9. copracer1990

copracer1990 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys... I am a newbie, but valuable info none the less... Here is the mod I decided to do on my CF-28 P3 1Ghz.... I am great with a dremel tool, as you cn see from the pic.... I also have the resources of working for a company that deals with super small circuit boards.... I plan on using an EM408 engine, and mounting it right to the top of the LCD as the pic shows.... You can see that the "TOUGHBOOK" badge fits perfect over the GPS antenna...Please feel free to let me know your opinions on my crazy ideas....
    I removed images due to size... PM me if you want to see them or go to
    http://www.geocities.com/copracr2000/panasonic/gps2811.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/copracr2000/panasonic/gps28111.jpg

10. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    It might work, but optimally you want the patch antenna to aim up.

I don't remember the specs on the modules, but they have a radius that they cover, so in theory you'll see less satellites. Of course it's 4am, and I'm about to head to bed, so I'll look it up in the manual tomorrow.

I like the thinking though, and I too love my dremel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.