Adding Aftermarket Internal GPS to the CF-28

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stan.distortion

stan.distortion Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    cn-40 does a few bluetooth and modem functions along with the line control for the second serial line. It's not really a lot of use unless you want to add 2 fully features external com ports. There is a 4serial pin that should open up a bios option but it will be related to the second serial.
    cheers

2. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    klboo.... PM sent!

3. Toughbook

Reputations:
    I ordered a bunch of the ribbon cables (25) from digikey. There was a price break for them at that level so I figured for $40 I could get a bunch of them. I may end up soldering to the connectors on those since there is a larger solder target. It would probably look nicer too! I may just wait until they get here to work it out sans daughterboard. It would certainly be a lot easier! I should be receiving them any day now... I ordered them last week.

Now... I need to get to work on my monitor issue!

4. stan.distortion

Reputations:
    Toughbook, if you want to sell on a few of those I would be interested. 5 would be more than I'm ever likely to use. Same for the 50 way connectors, around 10 there.
    cheers
    EDIT whats the monitor issue?

5. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Let me get them first and if they are what we need then I'll let you know. I didn't order any connectors.

The monitor issue is in another post. I have a strange lightening effect on the left side of the monitor. (See post) It only happens on light blues and grays. I'll switch monitors and see if it is the video chip or the monitor itself.

6. Toughbook

Reputations:
  7. cadillac

cadillac Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Rick
    This is the page with all the models
    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php?cPath=4_86

This is what they have in stock.
    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8334

This would be my first choice if they get them back in by the time you need them.
    I know it says it’s for the 406 but it will work for your 408.
    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=779

Another good choice.
    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8145

I have linked to this before but it might be worth a second look.
    http://www.kronosrobotics.com/Projects/GPS1.pdf
    Jim

8. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Cadillac... Are you talking about soldering leads to the USB pins on CN18?

9. cadillac

cadillac Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don’t know that you could call what I do thinking but this was my idea.
    Get an Eval board and module of your choice and hook them up as required. Purdy simple to this point and you could even test your work depending on your choice of boards to an RS232 or USB port.
    Then you have several options for connecting this to you laptop in your permanent location, most here think CN-18 is a good choice. Stan has already help us identify all the pin outs and we know what we need to do to enable GPS in the BIOS (get the computer to see a GPS module on CN-18) yada yada yada read the whole thread.

So long story short most of the Eval boards I looked at would be real easy to solder a fifty conductor cable to and plug into CN-18 making it function just like the original daughter board. And yes I would hook it up as a USB connection to CN-18 as Stan has already proven this out.But no soldering to CN-18 just using the cable and plugging as it where.

Sorry Toughbook for the long explanation I know you know most of what I’ve been rambling on about but others will read this and I wanted to make sure I was clear as mudd.

Jim

10. stan.distortion

Reputations:
    Cheer's Caddy, always a good thing to have a reference point.
    One thing with the links, the rs232 board above would be a bit of a pain for internal use as the signal would need to be converted from rs232 levels (+-12v) to logic levels (0>5v or 0>3.3v, both are fine).
    I think I caused some confusion on this point earlier, I assumed the 2 serial pairs on the motherboard connector (cn18) where rs232 level as the control lines where present and I didn't trace it back in the schematics.
    The 2 pairs of internal serial lines are both logic level (0>5v)
    There is only one rs232 level serial port on the cf-28 and that is the port on the back. This port also appears in the media pocket on the small block on the right as you look in. The MP and rear port cannot (normally) be used simultaneously as they are one and the same.
    Sorry about that, I'll edit my previous posts shortly.
    cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.