Adding Aftermarket Internal GPS to the CF-28

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I just am unsure where to attach it. (Rx) The only thing the service manual shows is GPS IN... Not out.

2. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Yup... The EM408... I'll be using that one along with a geohelix active GPS antenna. Modly turned me on to both.... The boy is a genius!

3. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    I already posted 2 pairs of posible pin assignment based on the schematic of cn(A) or i say cn(18)

4. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    Hi! if you could send me two of that module I will also send the item that you have requested, do we have a deal?

5. Toughbook

Reputations:
    The only units I have are for my laptop... I have 18 other CF-28s... I don't need them as bad as a working GPS. Maybe in the future when I order more...

I don't think the other pin assignments you posted will work... But I don't have the manual with me to make sure...

6. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    ohlip; http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-47-em-408-sirf-iii.aspx

That's the modules we are using, and finally they have them in stock again direct from the company (So you can get them cheaper, $47 a piece).

This is the antenna; http://www.jdgastore.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=15

They are $32, but you have to call in your order.

Toughbook, thanks for the praise and whatnot. I've been doing what I can for interface work, but this week I kinda hit rock bottom with my personal life (had to put my dog to sleep), so other than an occasional visit on here, I've spent the whole time keeping myself occupied with non-thinking tasks.

So are you using a RIM board to do your interface with?

7. Mega-Man

Mega-Man Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Modly,
    Sorry to hear about your Dog - always sucks. Later

8. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Modly... Yes... Using the RIM board. As I said... It looks like Panasonic used the same board regardless of what went in... GPS, RIM, CDPD, etc... They all look to use the same board.

Sorry for your loss. My wife and I had to do the same thing a few years back. Nothing can prepare you for that. It's like losing a family member. It will get better. Hope all else is well...

Rick

9. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    I'll have to be on the lookout for a board then. Don't suppose you've got a spare I can buy off you?

As the week has gone on, I've realised my dog had a great happy life, and the only way he'd have had it better is if I lived out in the country rather than the city, so I've felt a little better about it.

10. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Modly... I think I have a spare... I'll look when I get back. I'll let you know on Sunday.

The one thing I need is a little clarification on the wording of the EM408 doc... It says that if the Rx pin won't be used that you must use 3.5V and a resistor to pull it high. Now... Does this mean that I need to find voltage somewhere and find a resistor to make it 3.5V at the pin or does it mean that I need to start with 3.5V and use a ????? resistor? The wording is not very clear. Do you have any idea?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.