Adding Aftermarket Internal GPS to the CF-28

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I am pretty sure I have this figured out... At least for my application. Unfortunately I am leaving for the holidays and won't be back until Saturday night. I'll be working on this Sunday for sure.

I will have sporadic Internet access during my traveling but I will try to pop in on you guys while I'm gone.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

2. Mega-Man

Mega-Man Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey Toughbook,
    Am I understanding that you are ditching the stock panisonic GPS engine? I have the stock internal GPS - is it worth trying to just add a better external screen mount antenna or is the whole engine just not good enough. If so what engine do you recommend? Thanks

Still loving the external WIFI mod - thanks again. Going to tackle the Hard Drive soon - later Thanks

3. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    I've got a whole pile of things I'm dealing with this week, but here's some ideas to throw around.

While not as good as the modern GPS engines, with a good antenna the stock Panasonic GPS setup might get you some results. Keep in mind, I don't recommend buying a stock GPS system and doing this (for the cost involved), but you could buy one of the antennas that we are trying out (Sarantel Geohelix-s antenna) and route it through your GPS board.

If you have the "Do it yourself" spirit, you can probably do the whole thing for less than $50.

4. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Yes... I am ditching the stock GPS setup. I want high tech not trailing edge of technology. There have been others who have added an external anenna to the stock GPS without getting too good results. They didn't use the geohelix antenna though so that may be worth a try.

I think the engine I bought is an EM408... I got it from sparkfun.com I think. It ran $60+ and is a 20 channel setup.

The pinouts (from memory) are
    1. On/Off
    2. TX
    3. RX
    4. GND
    5. Power

The Rx pin does not need to be used but should be pulled high by using a resistor to get 3.5 volts going to it. I think I can getthis working on Sunday/Monday... Then I'll need to figure out running the leads to the antenna and mounting it.

I hope everyone is enjoying their Thanksgiving!

5. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:

No! The Rx pin must be connected the on/off switch is the optional you may or may not.

6. Toughbook

Reputations:
    The PDF doc on this states that you don't have to use it unless you plan on using Sirfdemo software or user written software... If it is not connected... THEN use the resistor. I don't plan on using any software except what the Tx would supply to the GPS software like Streets and Trips... I don't believe that the Rx pin is needed for that. The TX is connected to the GPS_IN on pin 37 on CN-18 (I think... I'm working from memory here.) The RX is not needed for my application.

7. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    so, you don't need for multi application thats what you mean?

8. gravitar

gravitar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is there any harm in connecting it?

9. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    Gravitar, the only reason to connect it is so you can write to it's firmware (Change baud rate for example). There is a few neat tricks you can do to it, but if you're using Streets and Trips (like I am), any mods you do to the firmware will make the software unable to read the unit.

I've still gotta try out iGuidance because I heard it can support higher baud rates.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25575

I'd still like to add in the RX pin just to tamper with it, but I could live without it.

10. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    Is this the type of module on your hand?http://www.globalsat.com.tw/mana_php/support/file/EM-408_User_Manual.pdf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.