1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Adding a backlit keyboard to NP700Z5B-W01UB

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by transitoryspace, Apr 24, 2013.

1. transitoryspace

transitoryspace Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So luckily my roomate has a similar Samsung Laptop( NP700Z5C-S02UB)
    I took pics and used a multimeter to test the volatge and get pictures of the connector, HERE
    First off the keyboard doesnt lit up when no HDD/OS is installed. When windows 8 starts it lights up.
    Second, the voltage is 5.1, my usb voltage is 5.4, could that be the problem with my mod?

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I doubt if the difference between 5.1V and 5.4V is significant.

I presume you have an ambient light sensor somewhere. Did you cover it with black tape which should ensure that the backlight stays turned on (I've just remembered this because I've just got a new NP900X4C where the keyboard backlight seems to have a mind of its own and I then remembered that I had taped over the sensor on my old X4C).

John

3. transitoryspace

Reputations:
    Light sensor? Didnt know I had one, where would it be located?
    also, since the keyboard is getting direct 5v+ shouldnt it stay on no matter what.

4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    On my Series 9 the light sensor is next to the power light. The location should be given in the User Guide.

We don't know enough about how the brightness is controlled. Is there a chip in the keyboard which gets commands from the computer or is the control on the main board?

You could check this if you pull your room mates computer apart again and see what happens to the backlight supply voltage when you vary the brightness control.

John

5. transitoryspace

Reputations:
    Just resolderd and taped the lights/sensor. Still nothing.
    I did notice in my original keyboard about 3 lines were cut (didnt extend all the way to keyboard). The backlit one has all the lines to the keyboard.
    You might be on to something about the drivers/software. So Im going to try unistalling/installign the software till I get the backlit option.

I did try my roomates again, it stayed the same voltage even when off and all brightness levels. On a sidenote, i accidentally touch both positive and negative on the joints when testing and the laptop shutoff. So I know Mine arent being shorted or anything.

Could someone with the backlit option enabled please upload their version for me to download. Id be extremely grateful. I tried before using that trick to download a different version but still didnt get it. Ill try again if no one has it.

6. transitoryspace

Reputations:
    Well Ive completely given up and going to sell the keyboard on ebay.
    It looks like the keyboard has a controller on it that communicates with mobo or other sensors. Ive tried about 5 different easy setting drivers with no availability.
    At this point I might sell the laptop and buy a refurb with backlit working.
    Thanks for all the help.