Acura NSX Commercial

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Tsunade_Hime, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
  2. Shobster

Shobster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    LOL.

What I find stunning is the car itself. Even though it won't come out in 3 years or so, is Acura going to release that exact model or are we just looking at a concept model?

3. Kaelang

Kaelang Requires more Witcher.

Reputations:
    Lol...

Leno...

4. usapatriot

usapatriot Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I didn't find it funny at all.

5. Thierry19

Thierry19 Coffee enthusiast

Reputations:
    The commercial is funny, the car is awesome. O_O

6. Vogelbung

Vogelbung I R Judgemental

Reputations:
    Bit too Transformers for me. Willing to bet e.g. Aventador will date less horribly in the long run.

7. SemiExpert

SemiExpert Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ho-hum, another hybrid!

This car looks like it was designed when Jerry Seinfeld was still on TV. Maybe it was. Now, it's just another rerun.

The Acura NSX might have been a big deal 20-something years ago. It was a reliable Japanese supercar, a Ferrari alternative that would be a reliable everyday driver. And it was a hot car, for the first 12 months of so. After that, it went dead cold, and sold in tiny numbers until sometime in the middle of the last decade. It wasn't even very quick by early 90s sports car standards, and by the mid 2000s, it wasn't all that quick even by sedan standards.

The world has moved on, Honda has fallen behind in engine technology, behind the other Japanese makes, behind Korea, behind even Detroit. So now we have a very bland mid-engine sports car. Will this turn around the perception of the Acura brand? Acura, isn't that the Japanese equivalent of a Lincoln - dull, kinda fugly and based on mainstream sedan parts?

Anyway, Audi has managed to gain the sort of luxury sector presence that Acura never could pull off. It's amazing how far Audi has come in the last 15 years. The Audi R8 is the exact type of car that Acura should have produced 5 or 10 or even 15 years ago. From what I've seen, the R8 is a mid-engine super car that you can drive to work every day without any worries - the same idea as the original NSX, but with a credible V8 or V10 instead of a ho-hum V6. Maybe the R8 is a halo car for Audi, although I think the brand has done well on the basis of real volume products like the A4.

So, honestly, Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno probably both got first dibs on new NSX out of doing the ad. Good for them. They're a couple of not-so-funny, washed up, has-been old comedians with big car collections. They gotta lot of money and a lot of cars. Big deal. How is this going to convince working stiffs to buy the tedious, dull Acura sedans and crossovers? What about that really lame new Civic-based Acura?

I think Honda could turn around its mainstream business and even the lagging Acura brand, but with the strength of Hyundai/Kia and the Germans, it will take some hard work - and this NSX doesn't represent "hard work," as much as phoning it in.

8. shadowarachh

shadowarachh Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    well my 20 year old ho-hum honda still turns heads every day :)

9. MAA83

MAA83 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    V6 electric hybrid? No thanks. If I'm going Japanese and have a lot of money to burn there are far too many other options, like the LFA, ISF, GTR, and others.

10. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Is it only going to be V6 hybrid? Cause the pre 2010 NSX prototype was sporting a 5.0L V10...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.