Acer vs Lenovo vs Medion - please help

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by thesanchez, Jan 26, 2021.

1. thesanchez

thesanchez Newbie

Reputations:
    So I'm looking at getting a new laptop and have come across these 3. They all have my preferred 15" screen, are a very similar price at the top end of my budget and all have, as far as I can see, fairly similar specs:

Acer Aspire 5 - https://store.acer.com/en-gb/acer-aspire-5-laptop-a515-55g-black-1
    Processor - Intel Core i7-1065G7
    RAM - 16 GB
    SSD - 1 TB
    Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce MX350 2GB

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 - https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/len....6-inch-windows-10-pro-20td0005uk/version.asp
    Processor - Intel Core i7 1165G7
    RAM - 16GB
    SSD - 512GB
    Graphics - Integrated Iris Xe

Medion Erazer Deputy P10 - https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/med...-ssd-15.6-inch-144hz-gtx-30029475/version.asp
    Processor - Intel Core i7 10750H
    RAM - 16GB
    SSD - 512GB
    Graphics - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB

My question is how would you go about separating these options?

I know the Medion is marketed as a gaming laptop. I don't necessarily need something for frequent heavy gaming, but it's not obvious to me what this laptop sacrifices for its slightly more gaming focus.

Many thanks in advance for any opinions / advice.

2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Higher performance = higher power draw

So for me, without looking at the machines, battery life would be the obvious sacrifice

3. thesanchez

thesanchez Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply, and I think you hit the nail on the head. A bit more research suggests the battery life of the Medion is only a couple of hours. Not a deal-breaker as I'll so rarely use it without being connected to power, though it does seem rather paltry.

Does anyone have any insight to any weaknesses in build quality / durability of the 3?

Struggling to pick between them.

4. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It depends what you're going to use the laptop for. The Medion has the best specs of the 3 and it has good build quality since its made of aluminum but if you're not interested in playing the latest AAA games and you just using it for basic/work related tasks then go with the thinkpad by far, it has great build quality and great battery life.

5. LaMOi

LaMOi Notebook Guru

Reputations:

I agree. To me the Medion seems to have the best components for the money.

I’ve done a lot of research in the last few months as am considering buying a laptop myself.

One factor that helped steer my decision making process was the fact that I intend to use my laptop at home plugged in. I’m not bothered about mobility. Which frees me up with regard to buying a powerful laptop that will likely consume more power than others.

So I agree with the previous poster how you plan to use the laptop should ultimately help you your decision.

Also in my understanding having a dedicated graphics card is better than not, as I assume graphics cards can be utilised by the laptop for things other than games e.g video editing/photoshop etc.