1. Due to platform maintenance, the forum will be inaccessible for about 30 minutes beginning about 1:30 p.m. Sorry for any inconvenience! We'll remove this notice when work is complete.

Acer vs. Dell or HP or Toshiba

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by bobby.gol, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobby.gol

bobby.gol Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I just want to buy a laptop in the 14inch size. I was wondering if anybody has had a bad experience with Acer or Toshiba...Are they any different from Dell or HP? Someone was telling me the only difference is who puts the parts together but overall, all these brands have the same componenets and it makes no difference whatsoever which one to buy.
    Any input would be appreciated.
    thanks

2. ChristopherAKAO4

ChristopherAKAO4 Notebook Nut

Reputations:
    There are going to be people with bad experiences no matter what brand you ask about.

Yes in some ways

Yes for the most part they use the same parts. For example they will all use Intel or AMD CPUs and nVidia, ATI or Intel GPUs (for the most part anyway). The difference is in the laptop case itself. It's layout of ports, it's thickness, screen size, what it's made out of, etc.

3. pitz

pitz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The brand of a laptop is almost completely worthless when comparing between different models.

HP makes very good laptops. They also make junk. Same as Dell, Acer and Toshiba. They all have different models that attempt to compete at different price points.

Personally I wouldn't touch a cheap Dell or HP laptop with a 10 foot pole -- but both companies make top-notch business laptops that cost a little more -- and as you can see, I own one.

4. Sir Travis D

Sir Travis D Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ok Hp is great. Hp owns compaq and voodoo pc's. Hp is an overall great company. Dell, not so much except for alienware. If you want a huge circular logo and adware, dell is the way to go. Acer offers high specs for low prices, at the expense of looks. They are clam like and mostly all white. Toshiba is also great.

I got a compaq laptop and it is obsolete within 8 months :(

get an alienware area-51

ignore pitz hp makes GREAT laptops if you customize them :) just dont get ANYTHING cheap

5. ChristopherAKAO4

ChristopherAKAO4 Notebook Nut

Reputations:
    If you want help on what you should buy fill out the FAQ.