Acer v3 771g owners club?

Discussion in 'Acer' started by hatessony, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Shotshot

Shotshot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Works as expected on my V3-771G, using the unlocked first one (no interest in GT7xx tweaking)

What I did:
    - unplug the power cord
    - remove the battery
    - hold Power button for >10 sec (clears relict charge)
    - plug the notebook
    - plug the fat32-formatted USB stick (containing modified VAG70X64.fd)
    - hold Fn+Esc
    - hit Power button while still holding Fn+Esc
    - after a few sec and a few blinks from the HDD led, release Fn+Esc
    - screen stays blank, fan running, for a few minutes (<5 min in my case), time for a coffee
    - notebook turns off automatically once it's done
    - unplug power cord, replug battery, replug power cord, start notebook
    Everything works as intended, with a sheetload of new uefi settings to play with.

2. Powerwing

Powerwing Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm looking for a laptop exclusively for Linux, no Windows.
    One of the models I've come across is an Acer V3-771G. It's reasonably priced (799 euro), probably because it's Ivy Bridge rather than the new Haswell which cost about 100 euro more.
    Specs are :
    Core i7 3632QM
    nVidia Geforce GT 740M
    500Gb HDD
    Full HD screen, non-glare
    8gb of RAM (16Gb max)

First thing I would like to know if everything works under Linux. From what I've read on the forum, booting into legacy bios shouldn't be a problem.
    Next, I would be adding a 128 SSD to it to boot from, so I can use the HDD for my /home folder for documents, pictures etc.
    What's the best way to go about this (assuming this laptop even works with linux) ?
    Apparently there's a second bay to put in an SSD. Is this bay available on EVERY V3-771G ?
    I'm not too bothered about the optical drive because (I have an external USB one from Amazon, works like a charm), so would it be better to take it out and replace it with a SSD in a caddy ? Will I have full mSATA speed using this method ?
    Or should I operate on the machine and use the empty bay ?

Thx !

3. Shotshot

Shotshot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As for the Nux part, I guess it depends on what precise OS you want to install. Can't complain about running a vanilla Ubuntu 12.04 Server on that notebook, but that's probably not the OS you have in mind. ;) let me know what distrib you'd like and I can run some basic check.

Regarding additional storage devices: afaik all models based on the V3-771 platform come with two HDD bays (one of them can even accommodate 12.5mm-thick drives, if you crave for terabytes!).
    Therefore the easiest and safest way would be to buy a cheap hdd caddy for Aspire V3 models (costs about $25 at various stores), plug the provided hdd in the 2nd bay with the help of that caddy, then put a new shiny ssd in the first bay.
    (FYI there's even a possibility for a third drive, thanks to a mSata slot).

4. firecode95

firecode95 Newbie

Reputations:
    Well ther is newest posible bios for acer v3-771g :D V2.28, I now that in acer support page this bios doesn't exist but acer had used same board on many notebooks so this work and its fully unlocked so use with care and dont change setting that you doesn't understood :D Whit this bios you can activate intel me firmware upgrade option too, for example my pc now runs newest intel me firmware. Upgrade process is same as before.
    VAG70X64

5. dumitrumitu24

dumitrumitu24 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hey guys does anyone have a unlocked bios for acer v3 772G with 760M??i have windows 7 64bit???I just want to overpass the 135mhz limit for overclock..not interested in other features.Thanks

6. firecode95

firecode95 Newbie

Reputations:
    Please give bios link and I can try to mod it, but I didn''t uderstood what exactly you need cpu or gpu overclock?

7. galmiche

galmiche Newbie

Reputations:
    Dear all,

May I required in emergency you rhelp please:

I've flashed the InsydeH2O release 2.23 for my ACER V3-771G Laptop.
    Then I entered a supervisor password that I remember well !. I was in UEFI mode. Entering F2 asked me password and all was fine.
    I have to precise that this password includes ! and # caracters.

Then I changed boot menu, to choose ==> Legacy boot mode.

But now when I type F2, it asks password and I can not enter it ; e;g. the keyboard mapping seems to be changed!: I have NOT the upcase first line
    in my AZERTY keyboard, pushing SHIFT key , does not display any * in the password box if I type any first line letter!!!
    I've reflashed the InsydeH2O .fd file using the recovery FN+ESC process , no change. First upcase line provides no typing letter!
    I can always enter windows8.

How now enter the password (I remember it), and has the mapping keyboard changed ?

Thx for help.
    Hervé

8. firecode95

firecode95 Newbie

Reputations:
    So your problem is that on bios level first line of keyboard not work but in windows works? and recovery method bios reflash doesn't fix it?

9. moistpants

moistpants Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the V3-771g with i5-3210m and Nvidia 630m. Some pretty exciting news for those of you not wanting to buy a totally new laptop... I Read on notebookcheck... here http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-V3-772G-747A321-Notebook.93916.0.html

"Just the same old case? Not quite, Acer does use the samebarebone (Aspire V3-771G) but changes some visuals and improves the quality."

So in theory if I want to upgrade my notebook I just need to buy a new motherboard (if cpu works). the case, screen etc will fit like a glove?! All I'd like to know is if the 3210m processor I have will work on the mb?

10. medis3000

medis3000 Newbie

Reputations:
    Do these overclocking options works only on UEFI mode? Legacy bios isn't capable?