Acer v3 771g owners club?

Discussion in 'Acer' started by hatessony, Oct 6, 2012.

1. hatessony

hatessony Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Enough users here with a 17'' v3 to start an owners club?

2. intel999

intel999 Newbie

Reputations:
  3. hatessony

hatessony Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dont think the motherboards chipset (HM77) or the cpu officially supports anything higher than 1600mhz, Getting 1866 would probably be overkill, unless the cas latency for its 1600mhz mode is lower than other 1600mhz chips and the price is the same or better. And I'm not sure that the latency even matters much on intel system still.

4. neilisme

neilisme Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Im in for a users forum. any idea if the 3840qm will work in the 771g? all the research i've done suggests it will, but at $600 i dont want to guess.

5. mlauzon

mlauzon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I own a V3-771G-9829.

I tested it with another 16GB of RAM -- to make it 24GB -- the BIOS saw it, and so did Windows, although Windows being Home Premium would only be able to use 16GB; so I know it'll be able to use 32GB of RAM, but I need to find a way to be able to upgrade the OS from HPx64 to Ux64.

6. xKrNMBoYx

xKrNMBoYx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I initially didn't comment on this thread because the last post was 2-3 months ago. But I have a V3-771G 9809. I just ordered a mSATA SSD, so I will be able to see if the slot works. If it doesn't I just wasted $50, but I guess I could try returning or selling it if it doesn't work.

Next upgrade will probably be a 2.5" SSD as a boot drive even if the mSATA does work. But I will have to use another ~$30 to get the HDD Caddy. Then I will max my ram to 32GB.

Two days ago there was a deal on ADATA 2 x 8GB 1333MHz deal for $55, I wish I could have jumped on it as Newegg does not offer it currently anymore.

......................................................................................

Anyways I don't know if this laptop will allow RAM above 1600. If you buy 1866MHz or higher most likely the laptop will clock it down to 1600 automatically. Only if the memory clock settings were available to us, then we could run higher speed RAM I guess.

7. mlauzon

Reputations:
    My 9829 has two HDD slots, and both have a 750GB HDD in each. I want to pull the main drive (C) and replace it with an SSD, and possibly pull the storage drive (D) and replace it with a 1TB HDD, because I think that is the biggest size that the laptop will support.

I just wish Acer would've put UEFI instead of the BIOS, as I really want to play around with it.

8. neilisme

Reputations:
    for some stupid reason, acer decided that if your v3 didnt come loaded with the UEFI bios you cant upgrade to it. it really makes no sense to me since all the v3-771g's are basically the same just configured differently. I'd like to have the UEFI to make boot times faster. but alas, that isnt going to happen unless i can find a hacked UEFI bios.

9. mlauzon

Reputations:
    Surprisingly, if you go to the Support section for the V3-771G on Acer's site, and click on the BIOS tab, they've actually got two UEFIs there.

10. neilisme

Reputations:
    ya, just tried it....no go. if it doesnt come installed with the uefi bios e.g. you've got like a 1.xx version bios, it wont install. theres got to be some way to force it.